Pak has never been serious about 26/11 investigations: ChidambaramJune 2nd, 2009 - 2:22 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 2 (ANI): Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram tersely said on Tuesday that the Government of Pakistan was not all serious about investigating the terrorist attack on Mumbai between November 26 and 29, 2008.
Talking to reporters outside North Block, where the Home Ministry is located, Chidambaram said: “We are unhappy that Pakistan has not shown any seriousness about the 26/11 investigations. The release of (Hafiz) Saeed won’t be a setback to the investigations.”
Chidambaram’s reaction came hours after a full bench of the Lahore High Court ordered the release from house arrest of Lashkar-e-Taiba and Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed on the basis of a habeas corpus petition filed by his lawyer. The high court said that it had not received substantial evidence to continue the detention of Saeed.A full bench of the Lahore High Court also ordered the release of another Jamaat-ud-Dawa leader, Colonel (retired) Nazir Ahmad.
The bench, comprising Justice Ijaz Ahmad Chaudhry, Justice Hasnat Ahmad Khan and Justice Zubdatul Hussain, heard arguments of the petitioners’ counsel after those of the attorney general.
“The house arrest of Hafiz Saeed is illegal and unconstitutional and termed it as the violation of human rights,” petitioners’ counsel A K Dogar said.
It should be mentioned that Hafiz Saeed was put under house arrest on December 11 last year, and his release was made after five months and 20 days.
The Attorney General had earlier told the Lahore High Court, that the government had enough proof against Saeed to warrant extension of his arrest, but could not produce that evidence in court. He had also said that Saeed had undeniable links with the Al Qaeda.
Indian Government sources reacted with dismay on hearing about the Lahore High Court ruling.
Most of them described Saeed’s arrest by the Pakistani authorities for his role in the Mumbai terror attacks of November 2008 as an eyewash.
They said that the high court’s view that there was just not enough evidence to continue the detention of Saeed certified that similar arrests made in the past have also ended in similar releases.
They said the Lahore High Court order showed that Pakistan is back to backing terrorism from its soil again, despite the evidence supplied by New Delhi indicating Saeed’s clear role in 26/11.
It now seems obvious, that the Pakistan government was posturing all along, without ever being serious about bringing the man branded a terrorist by even the UN to justice.
An official reaction from the Ministry of External Affairs is expected later in the day. (ANI)
Tags: ahmad khan, chaudhry, dogar, evidence in court, eyewash, government of pakistan, government sources, habeas corpus, hafiz muhammad saeed, home ministry, indian government, jamaat ud dawa, lahore high court, lashkar e taiba, nazir ahmad, pakistani authorities, release from house arrest, terror attacks, union home minister, violation of human rights