Pak forces given licence to kill to protect NATO suppliesNovember 17th, 2008 - 1:28 pm ICT by ANI
Peshawar, Nov 17 (ANI): Pakistan government is learnt to have given a shoot-to-kill order for those trying to disrupt the NATO supplies to Afghanistan. The order comes in the wake of recent incidents whereby insurgents hijacked as many 15 trucks loaded with supplies for NATO and American forces in Afghanistan, though they were later recovered.
The vehicles will henceforth be escorted by security officials to help them pass through Khyber Agency in a convoy, the Daily Times quoted a senior Pakistan government official as saying.
The Peshawar-Torkham road, one of the routes linking Pakistan and Afghanistan, is expected to be reopened today for moving NATO supplies to Western forces in Afghanistan, said sources in Pakistan government.
According to the paper, hundreds of trailers and containers had been stranded on the route, which was closed last week after Taliban hijacked more than a dozen trucks carrying NATO supplies on the road through the Khyber Pass.
Political Agent Tariq Hayat said a Quick Response Force had been formed to guard the Afghanistan-bound containers.
Although NATO supplies were formally suspended on Saturday, drivers said they had been denied entry into Khyber Agency since November 11. We have been made to wait here for the last six days under no security cover, said a driver on condition of anonymity.
Sources said the Peshawar-Jamrud road was also closed for the vehicles carrying NATO supplies on the recommendations of the NWFP government.
According to NWFP police chief Malik Naveed Khan, there were three criminal gangs in Khyber with direct links to terrorist groups. (ANI)
- Entry of NATO oil tankers banned in Peshawar in view of increasing attacks - Mar 17, 2011
- NATO tanker destroyed in bomb explosion in Khyber, supply suspended - Jan 03, 2011
- Thousands protest Pakistan's reopening of NATO supply route - Jul 17, 2012
- Pakistan Taliban warns MPs against NATO supply restoration - Mar 26, 2012
- NATO tanker blast kills 15 in Pakistan - May 21, 2011
- Attack on NATO trucks: New group claims responsibility - Oct 08, 2010
- Pakistan has permanently stopped NATO supply: Minister - Nov 28, 2011
- Stolen supplies for Afghan-bound NATO forces recovered from Peshawar mill - Oct 21, 2010
- NATO supplies resume through reopened Pak-Afghan border - Oct 11, 2010
- NATO vehicles caused Rs.150 bn damage to Pakistan highways - Dec 29, 2011
- First NATO container crosses Pakistan-Afghan border - Jul 06, 2012
- Trucks carrying supplies for NATO troops in Afghanistan move under heavy security - Nov 18, 2008
- Pak to reopen Torkham route for NATO convoys following US, ISAF apology - Oct 09, 2010
- NATO supply resumes from Pakistan's border (Lead) - Oct 10, 2010
- 2 NATO tankers destroyed by militants in Pakistan - Dec 20, 2010
Tags: american forces, anonymity, containers, convoy, criminal gangs, dozen trucks, government official, insurgents, jamrud, khyber pass, licence to kill, november 11, pakistan government, police chief, quick response, recent incidents, response force, security officials, six days, terrorist groups