Pak commerce secretary arrives in India for SAARC MeetingFebruary 9th, 2009 - 10:57 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb.9, (ANI): Pakistan’’s Commerce Secretary Suleman Ghani arrived in the national capital here on Monday to participate in a meeting on economic cooperation amongst the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) countries.
Ghani entered India through Wagah border in Amritsar and then boarded a flight to New Delhi for the meeting. The two-day meeting of the SAARCs Committee of Economic Cooperation (CEC) is expected to discuss the progress on the South Asian Free Trade Agreement (SAFTA),
the issue of non-tariff barriers and permitting transit routes for trade with third party.
I have come here to attend the SAARC meeting on economic cooperation in New Delhi. This committee meets every year and the issues related to economic and trade are discussed here regarding the SAARC countries,” Ghani said.
At the last summit, leaders had set up an expert group to undertake a detailed study on South Asian Free Trade Area (SAFTA) progress and to look at the possibility of including service sectors like insurance and banking in the system. So far, SAFTA has been applicable to goods only.
Ghani’’s visit for the meeting is the first by a Pakistani official delegation to India since the Mumbai terror attacks. (ANI)
- South Asia Forum calls for regional economic union - Sep 08, 2011
- India to reduce tariffs under sensitive list: Sharma - Sep 08, 2011
- India, Pakistan to soon ink customs cooperation deal - Sep 04, 2012
- SAARC Commerce Secretaries meeting begins - Feb 10, 2009
- India, Pakistan seek to better trade ties - Aug 24, 2011
- South Asia's leaders to accelerate trade, to jointly combat terror - Nov 11, 2011
- India assures greater market access to SAARC countries - Feb 16, 2012
- South Asia to gain when Pakistan frees trade with India: Chamber head - Mar 21, 2012
- SAARC members discuss trade prospects in New Delhi - Feb 10, 2009
- India, Pakistan to double bilateral trade, liberalise visa regime - Sep 29, 2011
- South Asia to accelerate trade, combat terror (Roundup) - Nov 12, 2011
- India, Pakistan focus on implementing trade deal - Nov 14, 2011
- SAARC should focus on infrastructure, trade: CII - Nov 06, 2011
- Pakistan commerce minister in India September-end, MFN likely - Sep 05, 2011
- India pitches for more trade, investment in SAARC - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: amritsar, asian free trade area, cec, commerce secretary, economic cooperation, expert group, free trade agreement, ghani, including service, New Delhi, s commerce, service sectors, south asian association, south asian association for regional cooperation, south asian free trade agreement, suleman, summit leaders, tariff barriers, terror attacks, transit routes