Pak bye-elections postponed to August 18May 5th, 2008 - 7:17 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, May 5 (ANI): The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Monday postponed bye-elections to August 18 for security reasons.
A press release issued by the ECP said that the holding of fresh/bye-elections was scheduled for June 18, 2008, but due to security reasons and preparation of the budget, it had been decided to postpone it.
In view of the Report received from the Home Secretary, Government of NWFP regarding law and order situation prevailing in that province, the forthcoming budget sessions in the National/Provincial Assemblies and overall security environment, the Election Commission has deferred (the polls) for a period of two months, the Dawn quoted Kanwar Mohammad Dilshad, Secretary, Election Commission, as saying.
Dilshad further said that the revised schedule would be issued in due course. He clarified that the candidates who have filed nomination papers with the Returning Officers concerned need not file their nomination papers afresh.
The announcement came as Shahbaz Sharif, the president of the Pakistan Muslim League (N), filed his nomination papers to contest by-elections from two provincial constituencies in Lahore PP-151 and PP-154.
Talking to a private television channel after filing his nomination papers, Shahbaz Sharif said rejection of his nomination in the run-up to the February 18, 2008 general elections was an excess against him and hoped it would not be repeated again.
He said the deposed judges would be restored according to the agreed programme. He further said that the subordinate judiciary was in a crumbling state and the government will take steps to upgrade it. (ANI)
- Gujarat, Karnataka by-polls Sep 13 - Aug 13, 2010
- Maharashtra legislative council bye-election on May 5 - Apr 14, 2011
- Lahore High Court dismisses plea challenging Nawaz Sharif's electoral eligibility - Feb 17, 2010
- Pakistan postpones by-polls a second time - May 05, 2008
- Andhra parties welcome by-poll schedule - Apr 24, 2012
- Pakistani politicians told to submit asset details - Aug 13, 2012
- EC announces bye-election to four seats of UP assembly - Jul 17, 2009
- By-election schedule leads to uncertainty over Andhra budget - Feb 17, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh by-polls Nov 20 - Oct 18, 2010
- Some want to delay senate polls: Gilani - Feb 04, 2012
- Pakistan Senate polls March 2 - Jan 13, 2012
- Petition filed in Pakistan court to postpone Senate polls - Jan 28, 2012
- Notification for second phase of West Bengal polls issued - Mar 30, 2011
- Pak EC postpones by-polls by 2 months, draws flak from ruling parties - May 06, 2008
- Hisar Lok Sabha, five assembly by-polls Oct 13 - Sep 07, 2011
Tags: bye elections, constituencies, dilshad, ecp, election commission of pakistan, forthcoming budget, general elections, home secretary, islamabad, lahore, law and order, mohammad, nomination papers, pakistan muslim league, private television, provincial assemblies, returning officers, security environment, security reasons, television channel