Pak-Americans appealed to set up a legal fund to defend terror suspect Dr AafiaAugust 14th, 2008 - 3:20 pm ICT by ANI
Washington , Aug 14 (ANI): The Pakistani American Democratic Forum has reportedly urged upon all Pakistani American organisations to establish a legal funds for defending Pakistani-American national Dr Aafia Siddiqui, who is facing trial in New York over terror charges, and attempting to kill a US soldier in Kabul .
The Forum also called upon the Pakistani-Americans to ensure that Dr Aafia is continuously raised in the media, including the Web.
In a statement, Forum Chairman Dr Muhammad Ashraf appealed to all Pakistani-Americans to fulfil their moral and civic obligations by putting together a comprehensive assistance plan to help Aafia defend herself before the US court hearing her case.
He added that Pakistani-Americans should demand a full investigation into the cases of all missing Pakistani nationals.
If there is one issue that should have been taken to the United Nations Security Council or the International Court of Justice, it is that of missing Pakistanis, the Daily Times quoted him as saying in the statement.
In the statement, Ashraf also asked the Pakistani-Americans to establish a legal defence fund so that Siddiqui could be enabled to hire a team of competent lawyers. There should also be set up a website, an email network and regular updates on the progress of the case, he added.
A support network also needed to be organised to facilitate fundraising, volunteer work, research, media outreach and community education in order to keep the Aafia Siddiqui issue alive and prevent it from slipping into mass amnesia, said the Forum chief in the statement. (ANI)
- Shocking secret audio recording suggests Pak handed over Aafia Siddiqui to US - Feb 15, 2011
- Haqqani's 'dubious role' in Aafia case exposed - Sep 26, 2010
- Pak Govt. can bring back Qaeda suspect Aafia Siddiqui in a day if it wants: US counsel - Jun 11, 2010
- 'No Pakistani safe across the globe following Aafia's 86-year prison sentence': IJN - Dec 22, 2010
- Pak terror suspect Aafia Siddiqui may have to spend entire life in US prison - Feb 06, 2010
- Pak govt. to take all action to defend Aafia: Minister - Feb 12, 2010
- Dr Aafia's sentence to intensify hatred against US among Muslim world, warns Imran Khan - Sep 25, 2010
- Pakistan seeks repatriation of terror suspect Aafia - Sep 19, 2010
- Pakistan never responded to US efforts for Aafia's repatriation: Diplomatic sources - Sep 26, 2010
- Pakistani scientist Aafia Siddiqui sentenced to 86 years in prison - Sep 24, 2010
- US human rights group terms Dr. Aafia's sentence "unfair and unjust" - Sep 25, 2010
- Is Hakeemullah Mehsud behind Times Square bombing plot? - May 05, 2010
- Taliban will swap kidnapped UK aid worker for arrested Pak scientist Aafia Siddique - Sep 27, 2010
- Dr Aafia's fate will take a while to be decided: US envoy to Pak - Jun 01, 2010
- Lahore High Court says only govt entitled to take action in Aafia case - Feb 09, 2010
Tags: aafia siddiqui, assistance plan, civic obligations, competent lawyers, democratic forum, email network, forum chairman, fundraising volunteer, international court of justice, legal defence fund, media outreach, muhammad ashraf, nations security council, pakistani nationals, pakistanis, terror charges, terror suspect, united nations security, united nations security council, volunteer work