Oz selectors tell White he must bowl more to secure Test spotNovember 14th, 2008 - 2:18 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Nov.14 (ANI): Australias cricket selectors have told Victoria captain Cameron White to bowl more if he wants to secure a place in the Australian Test side as a leg-spinning all-rounder.
White was yesterday dropped from the Australian squad for next week’’s first Test against New Zealand at the Gabba, despite playing all four Tests in India, where he batted well at No. 8 but took only five wickets at 68.40.
The success of off-spinner Jason Krejza, who took 12 wickets on debut in the final Test in Nagpur, along with the competition of Beau Casson and Bryce McGain, suggests White faces a battle to earn a recall to the Test side as a spinner.
“He will be disappointed to be omitted, but he’’s already been told what the challenge is, he’’s got to get back to Victorian cricket. He’’s got to bowl as much as he can, he hasn”t bowled that much in recent times,” The Age quoted the chairman of selectors, Andrew Hilditch, as saying.
White will not get the chance to bowl himself for his state this weekend, as Victoria will rest him from the Sheffield Shield match against Tasmania at the MCG, which starts tomorrow.
Victoria yesterday named pacer Shane Harwood to replace injured Darren Pattinson in the shield match.
White will play for Australia in today’’s Twenty20 exhibition match at the Gabba, along with Victorian teammates David Hussey and Peter Siddle.
Bushrangers Brad Hodge, Andrew McDonald and Robert Quiney will play for the All Stars. (ANI)
- Bushrangers thrash Daredevils in Champions League(Lead) - Oct 10, 2009
- White loses faith in his spin bowling after having torrid time against India - Feb 14, 2011
- Wayamba Eleven elect to bat against Victoria - Oct 13, 2009
- Victorian quick McKay stunned by Oz Test call-up - Dec 01, 2009
- Hauritz still sees need for spinner at 'green top' Gabba - Nov 02, 2010
- Champions League scoreboard: Delhi Daredevils vs. Victoria Bushrangers - Oct 10, 2009
- Oz selectors can also chose tried and tested performers for the Ashes - Oct 24, 2010
- Champions League scoreboard: New South Wales vs Victoria Bushrangers - Oct 22, 2009
- Axed Krejza has no intention of falling of Oz spin cycle radar - Feb 12, 2010
- McGain''s leg breaks will test Proteas: Lawry - Feb 06, 2009
- Australia's middle order 'cup of woe runneth over' - Nov 17, 2010
- Champions League scoreboard: Royal Challengers vs Victoria Bushrangers - Oct 16, 2009
- Scoreboard: Wayamba Elevens vs Victoria Bushrangers - Oct 13, 2009
- All pace attack recipe for disaster says Aussie leg-spinner McGain - Oct 14, 2009
- Australian stars finally find form ahead of Ashes opener - Nov 19, 2010
Tags: andrew mcdonald, bushrangers, cameron white, casson, cricket selectors, david hussey, final test, first test, gabba, harwood, hilditch, nagpur, pacer, pattinson, quiney, sheffield shield, siddle, test side, twenty20, wickets