Oz Foreign Minister, HC condemn Victorian police racism against IndiansOctober 9th, 2010 - 3:03 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 9 (ANI): The Australian High Commissioner, Peter Varghese, today condemned the racist email targeting Indians circulated by two members of the Victorian Police force.
After a series of attacks on Indian students in Australia, a racist e-mail scandal has been unearthed that showis Victoria Police officers joking about a video which shows an Indian passenger on the roof of a train getting electrocuted as he touches the high-tension wires.
According to the Herald Sun, the police officers have been implicated for circulating a video of an Indian man getting electrocuted while sitting on top of a train and joking that it could be a way to fix Melbourne’s Indian student problem.
The Ministry of External Affairs summoned the Australian High Commissioner over the shocking email scandal.
Varghese said the email was offensive and unacceptable. It was contrary to the principles of respect and tolerance, which underpinned Australian society.
He welcomed the statement by the Victorian Commissioner of Police, in which the Commissioner said he would deal with the matter in the strongest possible way, including through serious disciplinary charges.
The Australian Foreign Minister and the Premier of Victoria have also strongly condemned the email.
A spokesperson for Australian Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd said that the reported contents of emails circulating among members of the Victorian police are outrageous and offensive.
“Such communications have no place whatsoever in Australian society - let alone among the professional ranks of the Victorian police force. They deserve unqualified condemnation,” the spokesperson said.
Brumby today said racism had no place in Victoria and the State Government had taken strong action to reinforce community tolerance and multiculturalism. (ANI)
- India summons Australian envoy, conveys concern over bias (Lead) - Oct 09, 2010
- India protests, summons Aussie envoy over racist email (Roundup) - Oct 09, 2010
- Australian envoy summoned over cops' racist email - Oct 09, 2010
- 15 more Australian cops face probe over racist emails - Oct 11, 2010
- Racist police e-mail offensive, unacceptable: Australian envoy - Oct 09, 2010
- Oz to take action against 15 more police officers over Indian racism scam - Oct 11, 2010
- Racist email scandal hits Australian police - Oct 09, 2010
- Victorian police' 'racist emails' "unhelpful" for country's image, warns Oz diplomat - Oct 11, 2010
- Peter Varghese welcomes action against Victoria police officers involved in racist e-mail - Oct 29, 2010
- Australian Police nailed in shocking racist scandal targeting Indians - Oct 09, 2010
- Australia sacks four police officers for racist emails (Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Four Australian police officers dismissed for racist email - Oct 29, 2010
- Australian police officers face sack over racist emails - Mar 25, 2010
- Vindaloo Against Violence: Victoria premier eats Indian - Feb 24, 2010
- Don't cry racism for every attack, says Australia (Lead) - Feb 03, 2010
Tags: australian high commissioner, brumby, commissioner of police, commissioner peter, disciplinary charges, e mail, foreign minister, getting electrocuted, herald sun, high tension wires, indian man, indian students, kevin rudd, ministry of external affairs, police racism, premier of victoria, professional ranks, varghese, victoria police, victorian police force