Oxford don blasts Muslim parents for “importing creationism” into UK schoolsAugust 4th, 2008 - 2:00 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug.4 (ANI): Oxford Professor and well-known atheist Richard Dawkins has criticised parents of Muslim children and the Government for accommodating religious views and allowing creationism to be taught in schools.
The Telegraph quoted Professor Dawkins as saying in a Sunday newspaper interview that: “Teachers are bending over backwards to respect home prejudices that children have been brought up with. The Government could do more, but it doesn”t want to because it is fanatical about multiculturalism and the need to respect the different traditions from which these children come.”
Dawkins, a professor for the public understanding of science at Oxford University, is author of books including the Selfish Gene, the Blind Watchmaker and the God Delusion.
He said science was being threatened in classrooms because the Government accepts that theories including “intelligent design” can be discussed “in the context of being one of a range of views on evolution.”
“It seems as though teachers are terribly frightened of being thought racist. It’’s almost impossible to say anything against Islam in this country, because [if you do] you are accused of being racist or Islamophobic.”
Dawkins said the failure in classrooms meant religious fanatics had a chance to get hold.
“I think we have all been brought up to give too much respect to religion, as opposed to any other kind of opinion,” he said. (ANI)
- Forget religion, get 21st century morals: Richard Dawkins - Jan 24, 2012
- Australian distrust of Muslims widespread: Rights report - Mar 21, 2011
- Negative classroom environment harmful for kids' mental health - Mar 09, 2011
- 'Religion made us human' - Jun 06, 2010
- Brit academic looks to popularise evolution in Islamic world - Aug 22, 2009
- Australia to unveil new Multiculturalism Policy to tackle racial discrimination - Feb 16, 2011
- Wyoming legislature may put cameras in classrooms - Jan 26, 2011
- UK schools report 40,000 cases of racism every year: Report - Oct 29, 2009
- Atheists among scientists spiritually oriented - May 08, 2011
- Professor Richard Dawkins set to strip Harry Potter off his wizardry - Oct 25, 2008
- Anti-bullying program cuts nasty gossip among school children - Jan 05, 2011
- Highlighting gender encourages stereotyped views in preschoolers - Nov 16, 2010
- Atheists, agnostics kinder than religious people - May 01, 2012
- Fairy tales and religious myths not good for children? - Oct 25, 2008
- Sibal advocates higher pay for teachers (Lead) - May 29, 2012
Tags: atheist, blasts, blind watchmaker, creationism, evolution, god delusion, intelligent design, islam, multiculturalism, muslim children, muslim parents, oxford professor, oxford university, prejudices, public understanding, religious fanatics, religious views, richard dawkins, selfish gene, telegraph