;Over one lakh Gujjars to stage mass sit-in in Jaipur todayMarch 10th, 2008 - 11:26 am ICT by admin
Jaipur, Mar 10 (ANI): More than one lakh Gujjars are expected to stage a mass sit-in here today to demand Scheduled Tribe (ST) status for community that would entitle them to reservations in top educational institutions in the country.
Titled as “Mahapadav”, the meeting will also demand withdrawal of cases registered against Gujjars during their stir for the ST tag last year.
Twenty-six people were killed in last year’s battles between police and Gujjars in the state in which the BJP Government had registered over 330 criminal cases.
According to sources, around 700 Gujjars are still in jails, facing criminal cases.
A day-long meet is being organised by the Gujjars Arkashan Sangarsh Samiti.
Jaipur District Collector, Akhil Arora said that some preventive arrests have been made ahead of the meeting t o maintain peace and tranquility. (ANI)
- Gujjars march towards Jaipur, demanding quota - Apr 11, 2010
- Gujjar talks drag, to continue Wednesday (Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- Gujjar leader Bainsla to meet Ashok Gehlot - Jan 04, 2011
- Talks stalled as Gujjars seek leaders' response (Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- Talks between Gujjars, Rajasthan government break down (Second Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- More talks to solve Gujjar issue expected Friday (Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- Gujjar protests: More talks with Rajasthan government Friday - Dec 31, 2010
- Trains cancelled, highway blocked as Gujjars continue stir - Dec 25, 2010
- Government committed to reservation: Pilot tells Gujjars (Lead) - Jan 01, 2011
- Gujjars agree for talks, to send 51-member delegation - Jan 02, 2011
- Gujjars call off quota stir - Jan 05, 2011
- Talks between Rajasthan government, Gujjars on (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Talks between Gujjars, government to continue - Jan 03, 2011
- Gujjars end quota agitation (Lead) - Jan 05, 2011
- Gujjars ready for talks over reservation row in Rajasthan - Dec 26, 2010