Over five million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi till JuneJuly 4th, 2012 - 4:02 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, July 4 (IANS) Over five million pilgrims from across the country paid visit to the famous Hindu shrine of Mata Vaishno Devi near Jammu in the first six months of this year, an official said, outlining the steps taken by the authorities in making the pilgrimage a grand success.
About 5.17 million pilgrims visited the shrine up to June this year as against 4.72 million during the corresponding period in 2011. “This indicates that number of pilgrims this year is going to cross last year’s record of 10.1 million pilgrims,” said the official of Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board (SMVDSB).
The official admitted that handling such a massive number of pilgrims “is a massive challenge”.
“The board has channelised water from Painallah to the shrine to meet the needs of the pilgrims,” the official said.
For the shrine board, the biggest challenge is meeting water, electricity, boarding and lodging needs of the pilgrims at Katra (the base camp), at the shrine and also en route.
Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine is nestled in Trikuta hills at a height of 5,500 feet above sea level. A 12-km trek leads to the shrine from Katra, the base camp of the pilgrimage which is 45 km north of Jammu.
The pilgrims can walk the trek, go on ponies or palanquins, or by helicopters, which drop pilgrims about 2.5 km short of the shrine.
- Heavy rush of pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - May 15, 2012
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage suspended due to forest fire - Jun 23, 2012
- Record pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi - Dec 25, 2011
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage resumes after forest fire (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Vaishno Devi shrine has record 10 million pilgrims - Dec 28, 2011
- Record 10 million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi shrine (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Vaishno Devi Gurukul gets affiliated to Varanasi varsity - Sep 11, 2012
- Now, ropeway for pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - Sep 23, 2011
- Ban Ganga has little water for Vaishno Devi pilgrims - Apr 16, 2010
- Five killed in Jammu bus accident - Jun 09, 2012
- Land slips on Vaishno Devi shrine route to be checked - Feb 12, 2011
- Chidambaram in Jammu, visits Vaishno Devi - Apr 10, 2012
- Court suspends mining near Vaishno Devi hills - Mar 21, 2012
- Over 100 Pakistani Hindus arrive for Vaishno Devi pilgrimage - Jun 10, 2009
- Kashmir had record 12 million tourists - Dec 31, 2011
Tags: 1 million, authorities, electricity, feet above sea level, grand success, helicopters, hindu shrine, jammu, july 4, katra, massive challenge, massive number, mata vaishno devi shrine board, palanquins, pilgrimage, pilgrims, ponies, six months, trek, vaishno devi