Over a dozen peacocks die mysteriously in UP villageFebruary 25th, 2008 - 4:20 pm ICT by admin
Tedui, (UP) Feb 25 (ANI): Over a dozen peacocks have died mysteriously at a village in Uttar Pradesh’s Allahabad District, officials have confirmed.
The mysterious deaths were reported from Tedui village. “More than 50 peacocks were living in the vicinity, but for the last two to three days, more than a dozen have died suddenly and the reason for their death is not clear,” said Raju, a local.
Veterinary officials have collected samples from the dead birds to ascertain the cause of death.
“So far we have done an autopsy of three peacocks. We are now sending some of the bodies to a laboratory in Lucknow to ascertain the cause of death. We suspect that the deaths could have been because of poisoning,” said D.R. Ram, a veterinary doctor.
The blue peacock, scientifically known as Pavo Cristatus, is regarded as one of the most beautiful birds throughout the world and is provided with adequate safety in India, under the Indian Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
The poaching of this swan-sized bird, with a long and slender neck, is a punishable offence.
The peacock is India’s national bird and its feathers, adorned by the mythical Hindu god-king Krishna, are considered auspicious.
Besides natural factors, the destruction of habitats, poaching and contamination of food, are severely hampering the growth of the peacock population. (ANI)
- Poaching, illness killing peacocks near Delhi - Aug 25, 2012
- 30 peacocks die in Greater Noida - Aug 07, 2012
- Four arrested for poaching peacocks in Rajasthan - Jun 17, 2012
- More peacocks die of heat in Aravalli - Jun 12, 2012
- 8 peacocks succumb to heat stroke in Aravalli village - Jun 11, 2012
- More peacocks found dead in Rajasthan - Feb 26, 2011
- 18 peacock carcasses found, poisoning suspected - Mar 22, 2011
- 13 peacocks killed in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 09, 2011
- Bihar village dreams big for its peacocks! - May 15, 2012
- Peacock threatened by drought, starvation in Maharashtra reserve (With Images) - Jun 06, 2012
- Bird Flu killing crows in Jharkhand - Dec 15, 2011
- Sweden, Louisiana Joins Arkansas In Dying Birds Mystery - Jan 06, 2011
- Maharashtra governor welcomes peacock trophy (With images) - Jul 02, 2012
- 83 peacocks die of viral disease in Pakistan - Jul 29, 2012
- Meghalaya culls 5,000 birds - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: adequate safety, allahabad, beautiful birds, dead birds, district officials, god king, hindu god, indian wildlife, lucknow, mysterious deaths, national bird, natural factors, peacock, peacocks, punishable offence, sized bird, slender neck, veterinary doctor, veterinary officials, wildlife protection act