Over 400 tortoises seized in JharkhandNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:29 am ICT by admin
“The vehicle we brought it to the police station was filled with tortoise,” said Jeetendra Kumar, officer in-charge of Govindpur Police Station.
Police said the amphibians were smuggled from Benaras.
Forest officials said the guilty would be nabbed after investigation report.
“It is an offence under wild life protection Act. We will find the people involved in the case and then nab the whole network,” said Sanjeev Kumar, District Forest officer (DFO) of Dhanbad district.
The trade of tortoises is barred under the 1972 Wildlife Protection Act, but the huge premium and lax laws are increasingly luring poachers to the trade.
There is a huge demand for these rare species of tortoises, having distinct star marks on their shells, in the international market. They are used as pets and served as a delicacy in the western countries.
The rare species are land-dwelling and feed on succulent materials. Most of them are found in semi-arid zones in the southern and northwestern parts of the country. (ANI)
- Two poachers held with over 40 tortoises - Jan 10, 2011
- Two poachers held with 900 tortoises - Jan 17, 2011
- Four poachers arrested in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 28, 2009
- Poacher held with 80 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 06, 2010
- Nearly 1500 turles seized in Bihar - Feb 14, 2011
- Three held with 400 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 29, 2010
- Poacher held with over 300 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 12, 2010
- Poachers nabbed with 40 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 10, 2010
- Poachers held with 60 tortoises - Jun 16, 2010
- Two poachers held with around 200 tortoises - Jun 09, 2011
- Railway police rescue tortoises in Patna - Jul 19, 2008
- Three poachers held in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 06, 2011
- Orissa police seize 96 turtles, arrest one - Dec 12, 2009
- 20 quintals of deer antlers seized in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 12, 2010
- Two poachers nabbed with 95 tortoises - May 04, 2011
Tags: amphibians, arid zones, dfo, dhanbad, forest officer, forest officials, investigation report, jeetendra, lax laws, life protection, nab, police seized, police station, rare species, sanjeev kumar, star marks, tortoises, wildlife protection act