Over 3,000 pilgrims leaving for Holy Amarnath CaveJune 18th, 2008 - 8:17 pm ICT by ANI
Pahalgam ( Jammu and Kashmir ), June 18 (ANI): After a night stay at Noonvan camp at Pahalgam, 3,827 Amarnath pilgrims began their pilgrimage to the holy shrine early this morning amidst tight security.
The pilgrims will take next halt at Chandanwadi camp.
Security forces have been put on a high alert along the entire route of the Amarnath yatra to ensure the safety of the pilgrims.
The security setup consists of area domination and setting up of mountain posts by Army, deployments of central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and mobile patrolling by armed police.
The CRPF has deployed 50 companies comprising 6250 men and officers while the Army has set up 97 area domination posts in and around the shrine in Lidder valley of south Kashmir Himalayas, besides Pahalgam and along the highway in Anantnag, Ramban and Udhampur districts.
Base camps have also been established at Noonwan near Pahalgam and Chandanwadi.
Over 150,000 pilgrims registered so far across different centres in the country for the pilgrimage.
Every year, a large number of devotees trek the steep, slippery 48-kilometres route to reach the Amarnath cave shrine, which stands at a height of nearly 12,500 feet above sea level. (ANI)
- Fresh batch of 82,000 pilgrims leave Jammu for Amarnath - Jul 07, 2010
- Fresh batch of pilgrims leave Jammu for Amarnath - Jul 10, 2010
- Amarnath Yatra resumes amidst tension in Kashmir Valley - Jul 01, 2010
- Amarnath Yatra ends in J-K - Aug 24, 2010
- Another batch of 2,166 pilgrims leave Jammu for Amarnath - Jul 08, 2010
- Fresh batch of 3,165 pilgrims leave Jammu for Amarnath - Jul 04, 2010
- Amarnath Yatra suspended temporarily at Udhampur - Jun 30, 2010
- Amaranth Yatra commences under tight security - Jun 30, 2010
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Security arrangements for Amarnath Yatra reviewed - Jun 19, 2008
- Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 13, 2011
- Hostile weather halts Amarnath yatra; army, IAF on alert - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: amarnath cave, amarnath pilgrims, amarnath yatra, armed police, army deployments, base camps, camp security, crpf, devotees, feet above sea level, himalayas, holy shrine, jammu and kashmir, pahalgam, ramban, reserve police, security setup, south kashmir, tight security, udhampur