Over 1.55 lakh people register for Amarnath YatraJune 7th, 2009 - 5:44 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, June 7 (ANI): Over 1.55 lakh people have registered themselves till now for the annual Amarnath Yatra which begins from June 15.
According to data available, 52,700 people have registered themselves for the pilgrimage from the Delhi zone itself, while 31,400 pilgrims are from the Mumbai zone and 2,700 from the South zone.
The pilgrimage was to begin from June 7, but was postponed to June 15 due to the heavy snowfall enroute to the holy shrine.
The two month long pilgrimage concludes on August 5.
Last year, over 4.5 lakh pilgrims visited the cave.
The cave is situated at an altitude of 3,888 meters, and is about 141 km from Srinagar.
Devotees generally take the 42 km pilgrimage on foot from the town of Pahalgam, located about 96 km from Srinagar. It takes four to five days to complete the journey on foot. (ANI)
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Unregistered Amarnath pilgrims cause chaos - Jun 28, 2012
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Government, Hindu groups clash over Amarnath yatra - Jun 09, 2011
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Chopper fares slashed for Amarnath pilgrims - Apr 04, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- All set for Amarnath pilgrimage from June 29 - Jun 25, 2011
- Three lakh pilgrims register for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 04, 2012
- Ahead of Amarnath pilgrimage, Kashmir secures routes - Jun 06, 2011
- Annual Hindu pilgrimage of Amarnath to start June 25 - Feb 26, 2012
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- No delay in June 25 start of Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 12, 2012