Over 10,000 autorickshaws to go off Delhi roads from MondayNovember 14th, 2010 - 8:22 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov.14 (ANI): With the Delhi Government deciding to cancel their permits for failing to comply with the prescribed guidelines, over 10,000 autorickshaws will go off the city roads from Monday.
According to officials in the Delhi Transport Department, all permit holders of autorickshaws in the city were told last November to apply for smart card-based permits as part of the government’s efforts to maintain proper records of the three-wheelers.
Despite extending the date for applying for smart card-based permits several times in the last one year, over 10,491 permit holders failed to apply for the same following which the Transport Department has decided to cancel their permits.
The government had decided to introduce smart card-based permits to keep digital records of the autorickshaws, including offences committed by auto drivers.
According to official figures, Delhi has about 55,000 autorickshaws at present.
Following persistent demands by auto unions, Delhi government had effected a 35 per cent hike in auto fare in June this year but had warned them that they will face action if they fail to improve their services.
The government had also told auto unions that permits will be cancelled if the autorickshaw owners fail to install Global Positioning System (GPS) in their vehicles within the next six months.
However, auto owners have not heeded to the instruction so far, officials said. (ANI)
- Over 10,000 auto-rickshaws to go off Delhi roads Monday - Nov 14, 2010
- Delhi's autorickshaw drivers get 45-day breather - Nov 15, 2010
- Auto, taxi fare charges likely to increase in Delhi - Jul 25, 2012
- 'No new permits for autorickshaws in Delhi' - Nov 28, 2010
- Bengal comes out with directives for cabs, auto rickshaws - Aug 22, 2012
- Delhi transport minister warns striking auto drivers - Aug 18, 2009
- Delhi's autos, taxis to go on strike from Aug 3 - Jul 20, 2012
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit - Feb 28, 2012
- Auto strike hits Delhi, bonanza for buses, cycle rickshaws (Lead) - Apr 01, 2010
- Delhi auto, taxi rides costlier (Lead) - Jun 22, 2010
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Autos off Delhi roads from Thursday midnight - May 19, 2011
- Indefinite auto strike in Delhi from Wednesday - May 17, 2011
- Public distribution system to be computerised - Aug 16, 2011
- Partial auto strike in Delhi - Sep 07, 2010
Tags: auto drivers, auto owners, auto unions, city roads, delhi government, global positioning system, global positioning system gps, last november, New Delhi, persistent demands, several times, six months, smart card, transport department