Oscar for best short documentary goes to India’’s ”Smile Pinki”February 23rd, 2009 - 2:39 pm ICT by ANI
Dabai (UP), Feb 23 (ANI): Residents of Dabai of Uttar Pradesh huddled together during the wee hours of Monday and prayed for the success of the documentary film ”Smile Pinky” based on the life of a girl from their village.
Their prayers seem to have been answered as ”Smile Pinky” bagged an Oscar for best short documentary in the USA.
“We have been sitting in front of the television. We feel that when she returns successful, our village will become popular and all of us would progress,” said Victoria, a villager.
The residents of Pinky’’s village feel that the success of the film at the Oscars might bring glory to their village.
“We want that she should become famous. We want that her family and our village both should progress,” said Pradeep Vishwakarma, another villager.
”Smile Pinky” is the story of a child with a lip deformity. It is one of the four films nominated for best short documentary at the famed Academy Awards.
Megan Mylan’’s film ”Smile Pinky” depicts the saga of six-year-old Pinky who becomes a social outcast because of a cleft lip.
In the 39-minute documentary, the girl from this obscure village of Uttar Pradesh, undergoes corrective surgery to get a normal childhood. (ANI)
- Villagers in UP pray for success of ''Smile Pinky'' at Oscars - Feb 22, 2009
- Villagers in UP celebrate after ''Smile Pinky'' bagged Oscars - Feb 23, 2009
- American virtuoso teaches violin to cleft-lipped children in Varanasi - May 12, 2010
- Pinki makes her village 'smile' after wooing Oscar jury - Feb 23, 2009
- Gursharan Kaur hosts a reception for smiling ''Pinky'' - Feb 27, 2009
- Doordarshan to showcase 'Smile Pinki' on Sunday - Nov 10, 2009
- Why is Pinki not smiling? - Oct 28, 2009
- Pinki's Oscar to bring drinking water, power to her village - Feb 23, 2009
- 'Smile Pinki' all set to be screened across India - Oct 02, 2009
- Reality more fascinating than fiction: 'Smile Pinki' director - Nov 08, 2009
- 'Peepli Live' - will it make it to Oscars? - Dec 13, 2010
- Oscar-famed Pinky gets grand welcome - Feb 28, 2009
- Oscar is for thousands of cleft-lipped Pinkis: surgeon - Feb 23, 2009
- Pinki of Oscar winning documentary wishes to be a surgeon - Feb 27, 2009
- Pinki will become a doctor, promises farmer father - Feb 27, 2009
Tags: academy awards, cleft lip, corrective surgery, dabai, documentary film, four films, India, minute documentary, obscure village, oscars, pinky, prayers, saga, smile, social outcast, television, victoria, villager, wee hours