Oscar-famed Pinky gets grand welcomeFebruary 28th, 2009 - 8:39 pm ICT by ANI
Varanasi, Feb 28 (ANI): Pinky Sonkar, the protagonist of Oscar winning documentary Smile Pinky, got a rousing welcome at her native village here on Saturday.
Smile Pinky is the story of a child with a lip deformity which won the award for best short documentary at the famed Academy Awards.
Pinkis neighbours and relatives gathered at the Varanasi airport and greeted her with garlands.
The shy little girl was accompanied by her father and Dr. Subodh Singh, the surgeon who gave Pinki the smile that ushered her into the Hollywoods Red Carpet.
She was so excited about the whole experience.
Dr. Singh was hopeful that the documentary would create a lot of awareness about lip deformity in the society.
This Oscar has created a lot of awareness about lip deformity. I am hopeful many doctors, hospitals and people will come forward and join hands with Smile Train Foundation. We will in return help such people suffering with lip problems not only in India but all over the world, said Singh.
Pinkys father said he would go all out to help out people who suffer from cleft lips.
I will help them, I will tell them the name of the hospitals and doctors. I will not wait for them to approach me. But I will go to their doors and help them in curing this lip deformity, said Rajendra Sonkar.
Megan Mylans film Smile Pinky depicts the saga of six-year-old Pinki Sonkar who had become a social outcaste because of a cleft lip.
The 39-minute documentary traces Pinkis journey from being ostracized to being treated like a normal girl after a social worker helped her undergo surgery. (ANI)
- 'Smile Pinki' all set to be screened across India - Oct 02, 2009
- American virtuoso teaches violin to cleft-lipped children in Varanasi - May 12, 2010
- Gursharan Kaur hosts a reception for smiling ''Pinky'' - Feb 27, 2009
- Pinki of Oscar winning documentary wishes to be a surgeon - Feb 27, 2009
- Oscar could make India's cleft-lipped kids smile - Feb 24, 2009
- Villagers in UP celebrate after ''Smile Pinky'' bagged Oscars - Feb 23, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh doctor spreads smiles, and greenery - Aug 04, 2011
- Reality more fascinating than fiction: 'Smile Pinki' director - Nov 08, 2009
- Doordarshan to showcase 'Smile Pinki' on Sunday - Nov 10, 2009
- Villagers in UP pray for success of ''Smile Pinky'' at Oscars - Feb 22, 2009
- Pinki will become a doctor, promises farmer father - Feb 27, 2009
- Oscar is for thousands of cleft-lipped Pinkis: surgeon - Feb 23, 2009
- 'Smile Pinki' returns to help children with cleft lips - Sep 26, 2009
- Pinki makes her village 'smile' after wooing Oscar jury - Feb 23, 2009
- Oscar winner Pinki to be election mascot of National Dalit Front - Mar 07, 2009
Tags: academy awards, cleft lip, cleft lips, dr singh, grand welcome, minute documentary, neighbours, outcaste, pinky, pinkys, protagonist, red carpet, relatives, rousing welcome, saga, shy little girl, smile train, social worker, subodh, varanasi airport