Orissa’s ‘Dussehra Bullock race’ attracts thousandsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:57 am ICT by admin
During Dussehra, more than 4000 people gathered in Chandrapada village to watch the bullock race.
Bullock owners pamper their bovines round the year and feed them with sesame oil, green fodder and other high calorie diet so that the animals can win the annual competition.
The pre-race rituals and feast at times cost rupees 5000 but this does not deter the owner’s excitement.
“First we perform various rituals and serve food to Brahmins. Once the rituals are over, we bathe the bullock and smear colours on them. After this, we decorate them with embroidered sheets that are embedded with beads. Once the bullock is ready, we toss a live fish in front of it. After this, we let the bullock loose and they start running. A big feast is organised as the bullock race ends,” said Laxmidhar Das, a villager.
The bullock race is a much sought after event for the villagers.
“I have been coming to see this bullock race since my childhood. I like this festival a lot,” said Kanak Behera,” an onlooker.
However, as modernisation sets in within Orissa’s hinterland, youth are losing interest in such traditional games.
“At least 40 to 50 bullocks participated in the festival this year. However, gradually the participation is decreasing as people now consider it unsophisticated and look down upon the tradition,” said Manibhadra Pal, a villager.
Several cash prizes are given to the owner of the bullock that completes the round at the earliest. (ANI)
- Traditional 'Sindur Khela' held to bid farewell to Goddess Durga in Tripura - Oct 17, 2010
- Assam keeps date with buffalo fight festival - Jan 16, 2012
- Durga Puja, Navratri festivities conclude - it's Dussehra! - Oct 06, 2011
- Farmers take part in traditional cattle race in Kerala village - Aug 27, 2010
- Rajasthan villagers organise bovine 'marriage' - Apr 15, 2012
- Himachal deity gets back role in Dussehra festival - May 19, 2012
- Week-long Kullu Dussehra festivity begins - Oct 06, 2011
- Tribals in Jharkhand celebrate Mansa festival - Aug 18, 2010
- Famous tribal matchmaking festival to be held in March - Feb 24, 2012
- With bonfires and bonhomie, Delhi set to celebrate Lohri - Jan 13, 2011
- Buffaloes battle it out in Assam on Bhogali Bihu - Jan 15, 2010
- Delhi celebrates Lohri with bonfires and drumbeats (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Northeast India celebrate "Bihu" to mark new harvest season - Apr 14, 2011
- Weeklong Kullu Dussehra festivities end - Oct 12, 2011
- Elephant processions, percussion orchestras mark Kerala festivals (Letter from Kerala) - May 12, 2012
Tags: bathe, bovines, brahmins, bullocks, feast, fodder, high calorie diet, hinterland, modernisation, onlooker, orissa, rituals, rupees, sesame oil, start running, tradition, traditional games, vermilion, villager