Orissa reeling under floods, death toll rises to 12September 19th, 2008 - 5:22 pm ICT by ANI
Bhubaneswar, Sept 19 (ANI): The death toll in the current rain and flood has gone up to twelve in Orissa.
Three children were washed away in Tel river in Subarnapur district.
According to the state Disaster Management department, the water level in Mahanadi river system is steadily rising though rainfall has stopped in upper and lower catchments.
Evacuation operation has been launched on a big scale to shift the residents of low-lying areas to safer places.
As many as 26 gates of the Hirakud dam on Mahanadi have been opened for quick discharge of water as the level in the reservoir reached its full capacity of 630 feet, official sources said.
Inflow of water into the reservoir was recorded at 4.6 lakh cusec this morning, while an equal volume was being drained out through the sluice gates.
A major flood in Mahanadi was thereby threatening the delta region as huge volume of water inundated the plains.
As a precautionary measure the Orissa government has ordered closure of all schools and colleges in flood affected region for next two days.
Heavy rains have lashed Orissa since Saturday due to low pressure over the Bay of Bengal. (ANI)
- Floods displace thousands in Orissa - Sep 10, 2011
- Flood waters start receding in Haryana areas - Sep 21, 2010
- Orissa floods: A man-made disaster? - Sep 15, 2011
- Orissa steps up flood relief efforts - Sep 12, 2011
- Heavy rains spark fresh flood fears in Bihar - Sep 25, 2011
- Villages inundated in Haryana as Yamuna overflows banks (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana on alert as flood threat looms (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Water released from Himachal's Pong dam into Beas (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Process to release water from Bhakra Dam starts - Aug 21, 2010
- Water level increases in rivers and dams of Orissa - Jul 15, 2009
- Bhakra water level rises, flood threatens Punjab, Haryana - Aug 24, 2010
- Haryana battling floods, releases more water in Yamuna (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Two highways, villages flooded in Haryana (Lead) - Sep 09, 2010
- Water inflow into Pong dam falls, spillways still open - Sep 15, 2010
- Flood gates opened at Himachal's Pong Dam - Aug 18, 2011
Tags: bay of bengal, bhubaneswar, death toll, delta region, disaster management, flood, floods, heavy rains, hirakud dam, inflow, lakh, management department, orissa government, precautionary measure, rainfall, sluice gates, state disaster, tel river, volume of water, water level