Orissa moves SC against denial of green nod to Vedanta mining projectApril 1st, 2011 - 5:59 pm ICT by ANI
Bhubaneswar, Apr 1 (ANI): The Orissa Government today approached the Supreme Court challenging the Centre’s decision to reject environmental clearance to the Vedanta bauxite mining project in Niyamgiri Hills.
Challenging the Environment Ministry’s order of August 24, 2010, the state government filed an application through Orissa Mining Corporation, contending that the Centre’s decision was in violation of the apex court’s previous order giving a green signal to the project.
Senior advocate K K Venugopal contended that the order was illegal, arbitrary and in violation of the apex court’s direction.
A bench headed by Justice P Sathasivam agreed to hear the plea and also suggested that the state government and the mining corporation may file a contempt petition against the Centre if they thought that the Supreme Court’s order had been violated.
The Environment Ministry had on August 24, 2010 rejected the plans of mining group Vedanta Resources Plc to mine bauxite in Orissa, saying that it violated forest laws.
The Environment Ministry’s decision came after a government panel said that giving permission to Vedanta would violate green guidelines, and may have a serious impact on security, in a reference to worsening Maoist insurgency that feeds partly off the resentment of people displaced by large industrial projects.
Vedanta, on its part, had said that no one would be displaced as the mining site is located in an uninhabited area, and the project would economically aid the poor district.
The committee, which was set up by the Ministry of Environment early in 2010 to investigate the alleged violations of environmental laws by Vedanta Plc, also accused the company of illegally occupying the forestland for the 1.7 billion dollars project. (ANI)
- Tribals happy after government rejects Vedanta Group's plans for mining in Orissa - Aug 25, 2010
- Apex court questions environment ministry on Niyamgiri (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Supreme Court asks for fresh petition on Orissa mining issue - Apr 01, 2011
- Supreme Court notice to government on Orissa project - Apr 21, 2011
- No environment clearance to Vedanta - Jul 02, 2011
- Vedanta: Apex court moved against denial of forest clearance - Mar 10, 2011
- Supreme Court questions environment ministry on Niyamgiri - Aug 01, 2011
- Apex court's final hearing on Sterlite project next year (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- India junks Vedanta's mining bid on environment concerns - Aug 24, 2010
- Orissa to examine rejection of Vedanta clearance (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Media exposure rocked mining boat in Niyamgiri: Filmmaker - Nov 26, 2010
- Environmentalist hail rejection of Vedanta mining project - Aug 24, 2010
- Environment Ministry rejects Vedanta mining project in Orissa - Aug 24, 2010
- Troubled Vedanta loses appeal for controversial Orissa refinery - Oct 22, 2010
- Jairam Ramesh: politics of compromise or middle path? - May 12, 2011
Tags: apex court, billion dollars, contempt petition, environmental clearance, environmental laws, forest laws, forestland, government panel, industrial projects, maoist, mining corporation, mining group, mining project, ministry of environment, orissa government, resentment, uninhabited area, vedanta plc, vedanta resources plc, venugopal