Orissa heat wave claims 18 livesMay 2nd, 2009 - 8:56 pm ICT by ANI
Bhubneshwar, May 2 (ANI): Constantly rising mercury has claimed 18 lives in Orissa’s capital Bhubneshwar.
As the temperature touched 43 degrees, many people suffered heat stroke in the state.
Orissa has not seen rainfall since last August. Due to rising temperature, sand and the soil have become completely dry, resulting in no cloud formation above the region. The cycle is completed by steep rise in the temperature.
The meteorological centre sees no respite from the heat. It, however, has predicted that these conditions would prevail for the coming days.
“We have given a heat wave warning for the next 24 hours. We are expecting thunder squall in the coastal regions. This situation is likely to continue for the next few days,” said S.C Sahoo, Director of Meteorological Centre, Bhubaneshwar.
Meanwhile, BJP leader Kirori Mal Bainsla has suffered a heat stroke in Tonk located in Rajasthan.
Bainsla, who has to disrupt his campaigning midway for the Lok Sabha elections, is said to be recovering.
The temperature is already crossing the mark of 40 degrees Celsius mark in many parts of the nation, and the months of May and June are predicted to be even hotter. (ANI)
- Delhi sees season's hottest day, rain likely Friday (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Scorching Sunday in Delhi, squalls likely (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Delhi enjoys pleasant weather, rain expected (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Sunny morning in Delhi, rain likely - May 13, 2012
- Delhi lives through another blistering day (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- As Delhi sizzles, power demand reaches to all-time high (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Rains lash north India, mercury scales down - Jun 08, 2010
- Heat returns to Delhi, no rains in store (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Clear morning in Delhi, rain likely - Jun 04, 2012
- Orissa scorches as mercury crosses 45-degree mark - Jun 02, 2010
- Hot day for Delhi, light rains expected - Jul 02, 2012
- Warm and humid day in Delhi, rain likely (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Thunderstorm cools Delhi after scorching heat (Second Lead) - May 13, 2012
- No respite for Delhi, temperature to hit 45 degrees - May 14, 2010
- Delhi has dry, hot Friday; Saturday may bring showers (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: campaigning, cloud formation, coastal regions, few days, heat stroke, heat wave, lok sabha elections, mercury, meteorological centre, orissa, rainfall, respite from, sahoo, soil, squall, steep rise, tonk