Orissa Govt. hopeful of Posco not shifting its proposed steel plant from the StateNovember 13th, 2010 - 11:15 pm ICT by ANI
Bhubaneswar, Nov.13 (ANI): The Government of Orissa on Saturday expressed hope that Posco India will not shift its proposed 12 million tonne steel plant from the State of Orissa.
Amidst some reports of the South Korean steel major planning to shift its proposed project from Orissa to Karnataka following inordinated delays and unending public protests, Orissa’s Industries, Steel and Mines Minister Raghunath Mohanty today said, ” The Orissa Government has not received any such proposal from Posco India.”
Posco, the world’s No.4 steel maker, has reportedly agreed to invest around 7.1 billion dollars in Karnataka to build a six million tonnes per annum steel plant with 400 Mega Watt captive power plant.
The steel plant is likely to come up in Bellary or nearby districts of Karnataka.
The Government of Karnataka is also reportedly making active overtures to the South Korean company.
Recently it was reported that the Union Minister of State for Environment and Forests Jairam Ramesh would decide the fate of the Rs 54,000-crore Posco steel project in Orissa after the Forest Advisory Committee (FAC) gives its recommendations on the alleged violations of green laws at the project site.
Last month, the FAC passed the buck to the tribal affairs ministry to see if the project proponents violated any tribal rights. (ANI)
- Land acquisition for Posco project soon: Orissa - Jan 31, 2011
- Orissa villagers observe 'Black Day' to protest Posco pact - Jun 22, 2011
- BJD accuses central government of blocking Orissa projects - Sep 18, 2010
- Environment panel calls for cancelling clearance to POSCO - Nov 19, 2010
- Posco's $12 bn Orissa project gets conditional nod (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- India junks Vedanta's mining bid on environment concerns - Aug 24, 2010
- Environment ministry to give decision on Vedanta mining project - Aug 24, 2010
- Panel probing POSCO divided, submits two reports (Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- Environment panel submits separate reports on POSCO - Oct 18, 2010
- Orissa moves apex court over mining by POSCO (Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Congress leaders demand Orissa CM Patnaik's resignation over POSCO land - Nov 23, 2010
- barricades are up again at Posco site - Feb 03, 2011
- Expert team to submit report on Posco by October - Aug 23, 2012
- Long wait for Posco - a timeline - May 02, 2011
- MoEF expert team visits Posco plant site in Odisha - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: 1 billion dollars, bellary, captive power plant, government of karnataka, government of orissa, nearby districts, orissa government, orissa govt, posco, posco india, project proponents, public protests, raghunath, south korean company, state of orissa, steel maker, steel plant, steel project, tribal affairs, tribal rights