Orissa government opposes CBI probe into nun’’s rape caseOctober 20th, 2008 - 10:36 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 20 (ANI): The Orissa Government in an affidavit to the Supreme Court has opposed a plea for a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into the rape of a nun in Kandhamal District of the state by some Bajrang Dal activists.
The State government filed the affidavit in response to a plea by Cuttack Archbishop Raphel Cheenath.
“The investigation of the case by Crime Branch of the state is continuing very diligently and the mater is being monitored at the highest level,” said the Orissa Government.
In its affidavit submitted to a bench of Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan, the Orissa Government stated details of the ongoing probe into the nun’’s rape on August 25 and said: “As regards petitioners” demands for a CBI probe into the assault and rape of the nun, it is respectfully submitted that the Crime Branch, which is probing the case, has made substantial progress.
The affidavit further said the eight accused persons have been arrested on the basis of available evidence and that the Chief Minister of Orissa has categorically condemned the heinous crime and has appealed to the victim to cooperate in further investigation.
The Orissa government also opposed the demand for Rs.30 million as compensation to rebuild the churches demolished in the sectarian violence in Kandhamal between December 2007 and January 2008.
The region has been witnessing communal violence since August 23, when Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmananda Saraswati and four of his aides were shot dead by unidentified gunmen at his Jalespata Ashram. (ANI)
- Supreme Court declines plea for CBI inquiry into alleged nun''s rape case - Oct 22, 2008
- Orissa opposes plea for CBI probe into nun's rape - Oct 20, 2008
- Sangh Parivar women demand arrest of nun who was raped - Oct 21, 2008
- Laxmanananda murder probe: Court slams tardy police probe - May 17, 2011
- Nun's rape: Orissa asks for proof of Bajrang Dal role - Oct 17, 2008
- Supreme Court rejects plea for CBI probe into nun's rape - Oct 22, 2008
- Kandhamal nun gangrape trial begins - Jul 26, 2010
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- Opposition rejects charge sheet on 'Odisha gang rape' - Mar 12, 2012
- Orissa police to question rape victim in Delhi - Nov 17, 2008
- Orissa rape victim nun demands CBI probe - Oct 24, 2008
- We will abide by Supreme Court's directions: Patnaik - Oct 22, 2008
- Mayawati welcomes CBI probe in Banda rape - Sep 13, 2011
- Nun's rape: Orissa may move court for identification parade - Oct 24, 2008
- Opposition rejects chargesheet on Odisha gangrape (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
Tags: 30 million, affidavit, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, chief justice, chief minister, communal violence, crime branch, heinous crime, k g balakrishnan, orissa government, rape case, raphel, saraswati, sectarian violence, substantial progress, swami, unidentified gunmen, vhp, vishwa hindu parishad