Orissa flood situation worsens with seven breaches in Mahanadi embankmentsSeptember 20th, 2008 - 4:15 pm ICT by ANI
Bhubaneswar , Sept 20 (ANI): In Orissa, thousands of people were affected by severe floods as seven breaches occuredalong the Mahanadi embankments which swept away many villages.
Over 15 lakh people have been hit by the current floods in Mahanadi river system. More than 500 villages remained marooned in Nayagad, Cuttack , Kendrapada and Jagatsinghpur District for the last three days.
The state Disaster Management Department said one lakh fifty thousand people were evacuated and many others have taken shelter in hillocks and school and office buildings. 40 of the 64 sluice gates of Hirakud dam on the river were opened to discharge excess inflow.
According to official sources, the swollen Mahanadi waters triggered seven breaches in embankments in the river system in Kendrapara, Angul and Cuttack districts.
Kendrapara was affected with four breaches, including one on Paika embankment at Patasura, another in an embankment on Chitratpola at Pandiapahana and two more breaches at Sansara and Bidari. While the one at Raniala in Angul district made the scene grim.
At least 14 locations along the Mahanadi system embankments have been identified as highly vulnerable, while 80 places were vulnerable for possible breaches.
Cuttack was badly hit with half of the district is in submerged condition following two breaches at Basinga and Kantilo.
The flood situation turned alarming with the water discharge in Mahanadi river near Cuttack crossing 15.3 lakh cusec.
The state Government has asked the Army to remain on stand-by for relief work and also asked Chhattisgarh to stop releasing water from Ravishankar barrage to avoid further worsening in situation.
While the Government confirmed the death of seven persons in floods, unofficial sources put the toll at 13. (ANI)
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Floods displace thousands in Orissa - Sep 10, 2011
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- Flood alert in nine districts in Bihar - Sep 11, 2011
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Assam flood situation worsens, toll rises to 18 - Jun 28, 2012
- Water level increases in rivers and dams of Orissa - Jul 15, 2009
- Floods threaten large swathes of north India (Roundup) - Aug 25, 2010
- Flood-hit Orissa gets two more choppers - Sep 26, 2011
- Heavy rains spark fresh flood fears in Bihar - Sep 25, 2011
- Assam demands Rs.3,460 crore for repairing embankments - Jul 09, 2012
- Flood situation grim in Bihar - Sep 27, 2011
Tags: angul, barrage, bidari, breaches, disaster management, embankment, embankments, flood situation, floods, hillocks, inflow, management department, office buildings, orissa flood, sansara, seven persons, sluice gates, state disaster, unofficial sources, water discharge