Orissa farmers protest diversion of irrigation water to industriesNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:14 am ICT by admin
Around 10,000 farmers under the banner of the Krushak Surakshya Sangathan gathered at Burla in Sambhalpur district, and marched to the dam site, a prohibited area, to demand a stop to the diversion of water.
“Farmers are going to face problems in this area. If the water is provided to the companies without any consideration, it will only harm us. So, the farmers have united to themselves prevent these troubles,” said Lingraj Pradhan, Convener, Western Orissa Krushak Surakshya Sangathan Samittee.
He added that they would continue and increase these protests in near future. Farmers accused the government of favouring big industries.
“We have come here for participating in civil disobedience movement. The problem in that the government is planning to divert the waters of the Hirakud dam to factories, which will adversely affect us. We have a right to get water for irrigation from Hirakud dam and the Hirakud dam is a lifeline for us,” said a local head.
Government officials have refused to comment on the issue.
Farmers say that making available Hirakud dam water to industries could lead to the parching of around 50,000 acres of farmland.
The Hirakud dam project is built across the River Mahanadi, about 15 kilometres upstream from Sambhalpur. (ANI)
- Orissa farmers warn government against diverting dam water - Jan 13, 2009
- Floods displace thousands in Orissa - Sep 10, 2011
- Orissa floods: A man-made disaster? - Sep 15, 2011
- 'Hirakud dam is failing, farmers are killing themselves' - Feb 25, 2010
- Governor asks Orissa to probe dam 'mismanagement' - Oct 05, 2011
- Protests against Orissa hydropower projects intensify - Aug 25, 2011
- Heat wave strikes Odisha, toll rises to 19 (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Mercury touches 42 degrees in Orissa - May 04, 2011
- Steel plant official injured after workers torch vehicle - Mar 03, 2011
- Mercury crosses 40 degrees Celsius in Orissa town - Mar 22, 2011
- Water level increases in rivers and dams of Orissa - Jul 15, 2009
- Orissa sizzles as mercury crosses 46 degrees - Jun 01, 2010
- People protest industries being given Mahanadi's water - Jul 16, 2010
- Two Orissa towns record 46 degrees-plus temperature - Apr 19, 2010
- Mercury crosses 45-degree mark in Orissa - Apr 11, 2010