Orissa CM Naveen Patnaik to face trust voteMarch 11th, 2009 - 2:10 pm ICT by ANI
Bhubaneswar, Mar 11 (ANI): Under pressure to prove his government’’s majority in the State Assembly after breaking-off with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Naveen Patnaik and his Biju Janata Dal (BJD) will face a trust vote today.
A special one-day session of the State Assembly has been summoned, where Patnaik would require at least 74 votes to prove his majority in the 147-member House.
Meanwhile, the BJP insisted that its members will vote against the Government.
“We have issued a whip to members asking them to vote against the government,” BJP legislature party leader BB Harichandan told reporters here after a legislature party meeting.
Patnaik, however, has claimed that he will get some BJP MLAs onboard to vote for him.
Three BJP MLAs have already defied their party whip and decided to vote for the Patnaik Government
According to sources, the BJD is also trying to arrange for cross voting from the Congress and the BJP in case Independents abstain. (ANI)
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- BJD to abstain in vice-presidential poll - Aug 05, 2012
- Voice vote sees Naveen Patnaik win confidence motion in Orissa - Mar 11, 2009
- Sangma to campaign in Odisha July 15 - Jul 06, 2012
- Vote for party's Rajya Sabha candidates, BJD tells legislators - Jun 13, 2010
- NCP withdraws support to BJD in Orissa - Dec 29, 2010
- Government wins first NCTC battle in parliament (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Patnaik leaves for Delhi to back Sangma - Jun 27, 2012
- Presidential election: Sangma's son meets Patnaik - Jun 26, 2012
- Pranab in Odisha to seek support - Jul 11, 2012
- Government wins first NCTC battle, defeats opposition amendments (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- Biju Janata Dal wins all three Orissa Rajya Sabha seats (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- BJD seeks fringe parties support to save government - Mar 08, 2009
- Naveen Patnaik rules out supporting Congress - Mar 07, 2011
- Dissident BJD leader's forum a parallel platform? - Oct 12, 2011