Orissa asks for a Rs. 1,500 crore grant to tackle economic meltdownFebruary 18th, 2009 - 7:53 pm ICT by ANI
Bhubaneshwar, Feb 18 (ANI): Orissa’’s Finance Minister Prafulla Ghadei said on Wednesday that the State Government has approached the Centre for grant of Rs.1,500 Crore to counter the economic slowdown.
Ghadei said the demand had been forwarded to Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia.
“The world is going through a massive economic meltdown and the Indian economy and economies of states are faced with challenging times,” Ghadei said in a memorandum to Ahluwalia.
The memorandum claims that Orissa implemented the revised pay scales and pension for state employees on the basis of Pay Commission recommendations. This, she said, has benefited about 400,000 government employees and around 249,000 pensioners.
The assistance, however, also “put tremendous pressure on the state’’s finances.”
Ghadei further said that the Orissa Government has increased the state’’s annual plan outlay from Rs 25 billion (Rs 2,500 crore) in 2004-05 to Rs 95 billion (Rs 9,500 crore) in 2008-09. (ANI)
- Orissa seeks Rs.15 bn to tackle slowdown - Feb 18, 2009
- Private participation vital to expedite development in northeast: Plan panel - Mar 30, 2012
- Punjab seeks Rs.400 crore central assistance - Jul 16, 2011
- Good showing gets Rajasthan 22 percent hike in plan outlay - Mar 21, 2012
- Himachal proposes Rs.3,300 crore plan for 2011-12 - Jan 27, 2011
- Another pre-poll sop for over 300,000 'babus' (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Sep 01, 2012
- India may end 2011-12 with 7 percent growth: Montek - Dec 21, 2011
- Himachal seeks Rs.3,000 crore assistance - Aug 24, 2010
- India's economic growth dips to 9-year low of 5.3 percent (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- Don't raise retirement age, Achuthanandan tells Kerala government - Jul 17, 2012
- Constitute pay commission within three months: Himachal court - Dec 29, 2011
- Dhumal in please-all mode in election year (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Mar 03, 2012
- Rs.7,300 crore plan for Kashmir for 2012-13 - Jul 13, 2012
- Rs.15,300 crore plan approved for Jharkhand - Apr 11, 2011
- Tamil Nadu seeks over Rs.180,000 crore for free laptops, other schemes - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: challenging times, commission recommendations, deputy chairman, economic meltdown, economic slowdown, finance minister, government employees, indian economy, memorandum, montek singh ahluwalia, orissa government, pay scales, plan outlay, planning commission, rs 1, rs 2, state employees, state government