Only a miracle can ensure a Republican winNovember 3rd, 2008 - 7:33 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Nov.3 (ANI): It’’s hard to find a political pro who really believes John McCain can turn the presidential vote around on November 4, 2008.
Though the numbers are tightening in the battleground states, a pragmatic senior McCain strategist gave his boss only a 15 percent chance of pulling it off.
The New York Daily News quoted GOP guru Karl Rove, the architect of President Bushs 2000 and 2004 victories, as saying that McCain faced a very, very steep, uphill climb.
Recent polls analyzed by RealClearPolitics, however, still have Obama ahead by seven points - normally an insurmountable lead in the final hours before the polls open.
Moreover, McCain hasn”t been ahead in Pennsylvania since April 24. Six months and 61 state polls later, he’’s still trying to break through.
Mathematically, a McCain victory remains possible. But that math is extremely daunting. Despite Democrats” million-vote registration advantage, he must pry Pennsylvania away - and also run the table everywhere else. That’’s possible, but nearly miraculous.
“We can win Pennsylvania and still lose the election,” a top McCain loyalist glumly conceded.
Democrats scoffed at the turnaround scenario. “They think if you tell a lie three times, people believe it is the truth,” a veteran party operative told the Daily News. “They think you”re suckers. I think it’’s 6 or 7 points [nationally].”
If so, Obama is headed to a comfortable win. If not, another late night awaits. (ANI)
- Romney sweeps five states, readies to battle Obama - Apr 25, 2012
- Obama faces uphill climb, swing states poll indicate - Nov 05, 2011
- Republican election wizard had predicted landslide victory for Obama - Nov 05, 2008
- John McCain ranked most conservative US senator in 2010 - Feb 25, 2011
- John McCain supports Paul Ryan - Aug 13, 2012
- Obama heading for political trench warfare between 2010 and 2012 - Nov 14, 2010
- Julianne Moore to portray Sarah Palin in a movie - Mar 10, 2011
- After five-state sweep, Romney readies to battle Obama (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Obama's approval ratings soar despite disappointments over health-employment issues - Jan 22, 2011
- McCain trails Obama in battleground states - Nov 03, 2008
- Voting underway in historic US election - Nov 04, 2008
- Obama leads all potential 2012 Republican challengers: Poll - Jun 12, 2010
- Now it's up to voters in historic US elections - Nov 03, 2008
- Karl Rove Says 'No Dirty Tricks’ - Mar 09, 2010
- Experts say November 4 prez poll `almost unwinnable for McCain - Oct 14, 2008
Tags: april 24, architect, battleground, gop, guru, john mccain, karl rove, late night, new york daily news, president bushs, presidential vote, realclearpolitics, seven points, state polls, strategist, suckers, turnaround, uphill climb, vote registration, york daily news