One killed in police-separatists clash in SrinagarSeptember 12th, 2008 - 8:56 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Sept 12 (ANI): At least one person was killed in Srinagar today, when fresh clashes erupted between the police and separatists-led protesters.
The clashes took place between supporters of Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) leader Yasin Malik and the police.
The protesters took to the streets shortly after Friday prayers following a shutdown called by separatists.
During the clashes JKLF chief Yasin Malik and several other protestors were injured. He was taken to SMHS hospital for treatment.
According to reports, police fired tear gas shells and used batons to disperse thousands of demonstrators who assembled at Lal Chowk and staged a sit-in in response to the call given by separatists” Co-ordination Committee.
Malik, while addressing the demonstrators, said, “Our movement is peaceful and no military can defeat the resolve of Kashmiris.”
The Committee had given the shutdown call from 12.30 P.M.
In Srinagar and other district headquarters shopkeepers pulled down their shutters and thousands of slogan shouting people took to the streets after Friday prayers.
Clashes also occurred in Koker bazaar, Maisuma, Court road and adjoining localities, according to reports.
Police and paramilitary forces had been deployed in strength outside all mosques and shrines and sensitive localities to maintain law and order. (ANI)
- Five hurt in police firing in Srinagar - Aug 30, 2010
- JKLF protests Kashmir 'killings, arrests', Malik detained - Mar 11, 2011
- Yasin Malik, supporters arrested in Srinagar (Lead) - Sep 30, 2011
- Protest over Yaseen Malik's arrest turns violent in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 29, 2011
- Religious leader killed in Srinagar blast, city shuts down (Second Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Five wounded in police firing in Srinagar (Lead) - Aug 30, 2010
- JKLF members clash with police in Srinagar - Feb 10, 2012
- Maulana opposed to stone throwing killed in Srinagar (Third Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- JKLF chief Yasin Malik arrested at protest march - Sep 07, 2012
- Kashmir cleric opposing stone throwing killed in blast (Roundup) - Apr 09, 2011
- Shutdown on JKLF founder's death anniversary - Feb 11, 2012
- Police baton charge protesters in Srinagar - Jan 21, 2012
- Yasin Malik arrested in Srinagar (With image) - Jan 06, 2012
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in Kashmir peacefully - Aug 31, 2011
- Separatist leaders put under house arrest in Srinagar - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: bazaar, chowk, clashes, demonstrators, district headquarters, gas shells, kashmir, kashmir liberation, lal, law and order, liberation front, mosques, ordination, paramilitary forces, protestors, shrines, shutters, srinagar, tear gas, yasin malik