One killed, five injured in clashes in KashmirSeptember 17th, 2010 - 2:48 pm ICT by ANI
Budgam (J-K), Sep 17 (ANI): At least one person was killed and five others injured when security forces allegedly opened fire to quell stone-pelting mobs in Jammu and Kashmir’s Budgam District on Friday.
The protests came even as curfew remained in force across the Kashmir Valley for the fifth successive day.
Five persons were injured when security forces allegedly opened fire to disperse the mob who defied curfew and indulged in stone-pelting at Churpora village of Beerwah in Budgam district.
One of the critically injured was rushed to SKIMS Medical College Hospital at Bemina where he was declared brought dead by the doctors.
Some people also tried to defy curfew in the Tangmarg area of Baramulla district.
Curfew was being strictly implemented across the Valley in order to thwart the call for a march given by hardline faction of Hurriyat Conference, which is spearheading the ongoing agitation.
Heavy contingents of police and the CRPF have been deployed across the Kashmir Valley. All main roads have been sealed with barbed wire.
Police and CRPF vehicles have been placed at major entry and exit points.
On Wednesday, three people were killed and 20 were injured in Mendhar when protests against the report of Quran being burnt was shown on an Iran news channel provoking violent protests.
The police had to open fire to control them
18 protesters demonstrating against the burning of Quran and a police officer were killed in street battles.
Authorities have slapped a round-the-clock curfew in the region and also threatened to shoot violators on sight.
The recent eruption of violence has left the government searching for a new strategy for dealing with the protests.
At least 92 people have died in the last three months. The Kashmir Valley has also been subjected to a series of shutdowns and frequent curfews during this period. (ANI)
- National Panthers Party calls for Supreme Court direction on Kashmir violence - Sep 17, 2010
- One killed, 14 injured in Kashmir clash - Sep 18, 2010
- Curfew reimposed in Kashmir Valley - Sep 19, 2010
- Curfew relaxed for four hours in parts of Srinagar - Sep 18, 2010
- Two critically injured in continuing Kashmir violence - Sep 12, 2010
- Four killed, 47 injured in Kashmir Friday - Aug 13, 2010
- Curfew imposed across entire Valley, stray violence reported (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Two killed in Kashmir firing, toll rises to 57 (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- Curfew continues in parts of Kashmir valley due to stone pelting incidents - Sep 13, 2010
- Three die in Kashmir violence, toll now 73 (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- 11 killed as violence spreads across Kashmir (Third Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Over a dozen protesters, five securitymen injured in Kashmir - Aug 16, 2010
- Bloody Monday leaves 16 dead across Kashmir (Fourth Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Curfew, clashes and shutdown hit Kashmir Valley again (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- Two more dead, Kashmir Valley under curfew - Sep 14, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,