One in three Brit teachers believes creationism should be at par with evolutionNovember 7th, 2008 - 6:58 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 7 (ANI): One in three Brit teachers believes that the theories of creationism and intelligent design should be given the same status as evolution in the classroom, according to a new survey.
According to the survey of 1,200 teachers, 53 per cent thought that creationism should not be taught in science lessons, while 29 per cent thought it should, reports Timesonline.
However, 88 per cent said that if students raised the issue in a science lesson, they should be allowed to discuss it.
Creationism is based on a literal interpretation of scripture as an explanation for the origins of life.
Intelligent design is a more modern version, which says that life is so complex it cannot be explained solely by evolution.
According to National curriculum guidelines, creationism has no place in science lessons.
Last year, Professor Michael Reiss, a biologist and Royal Society director of education, provoked a furore by calling for creationism to be treated in science lessons as a legitimate ”world-view”. (ANI)
- Australian kids are taught humans, dinosaurs coexisted - Aug 01, 2010
- 1 in 10 Brit pupils believes in creationism - Sep 12, 2008
- Bullying girls' 'behave worse in classroom than boys' - Apr 18, 2011
- Gizmos replacing pens as kids' essential classroom kit: Survey - Apr 24, 2011
- Three in ten Brit teachers want creationism to be taught in school - Dec 23, 2008
- Don't dismiss god for Darwin, British scientist tells schools - Sep 12, 2008
- Don't dismiss god for Darwin's sake, British scientist tells schools - Sep 12, 2008
- Virginia school super apologizes for mock auction of black students - Apr 10, 2011
- 'Muslim academics don't believe in Darwin's theory of evolution' - Nov 17, 2009
- British teachers to be paid for performance? - May 01, 2012
- World's religions would survive discovery of aliens, suggests survey - Jan 27, 2010
- Brit students stage mass walkout after teacher bans girls from linking arms - Feb 01, 2011
- Bhagavad Gita studied by Hindus and Muslims in this school - Dec 26, 2010
- Most people feel it is possible to believe in God and evolution - Jul 02, 2009
- Earth's Age Evolution; Student Expertise Matters - Mar 14, 2010
Tags: biologist, curriculum guidelines, director of education, evolution, furore, intelligent design, literal interpretation, london, michael reiss, national curriculum, new survey, origins of life, professor michael, science lesson, science lessons, scripture