One fisherman killed, 100 injured in firing by Sri Lankan navySeptember 28th, 2008 - 11:43 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Sept 28 (ANI): At least one fisherman was killed and 100 injured in alleged firing by the Sri Lankan Navy when they were fishing near Katchatheevu in Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu.
The incident took place last night, when Murugan, the deceased fisherman hailing from Thataneri in Madurai and others who ventured into the sea in 40 mechanized boats were fishing in Sri Lankan waters, according to police reports.
The Navy personnel also attacked them with iron rods and threw their catch into the sea, alleged the injured fishermen.
The family of the deceased was handed a cheque of Rs three lakh by Revenue District Officer Poonkodi. (ANI)
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Prime Minister asked to take up fishermen arrest issue with Sri Lanka - Jul 23, 2012
- Take strong stand against Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Nov 07, 2011
- India should assert with Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa - Nov 16, 2011
- India asks Sri Lanka to free fishermen - Jul 26, 2012
- Can't India prevent attacks on fishermen, asks Jayalalithaa - Jan 16, 2011
- Sri Lanka arrests 23 Indian fishermen - Jun 21, 2011
- MDMK leader goes on hunger strike protesting against fishermen killings - Feb 06, 2011
- India hopeful fishermen captured by Sri Lanka will be released - Jul 24, 2012
- 23 Indian fishermen released by Sri Lanka: Krishna - Jul 27, 2012
- Jayalalithaa seeks PM's help to free fishermen (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Indian fisherman killed by Sri Lankan Navy - Jul 08, 2010
- Coast Guard, navy should protect fishermen, says court - Oct 14, 2011
- Secure fishermen's release from Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Jul 05, 2012