One dead, 17 missing in Bihar boat mishapSeptember 11th, 2008 - 6:04 pm ICT by ANI
Patna, Sep 11 (ANI): One person was drowned and 17 others, mostly women and children, on board a boat were missing after it capsized in Harohar river near Bavgha village of Bihar’’s Sheikhpura district on Thursday.
District Magistrate Anjani Kumar Verma camping at the incident site said that local divers fished out a body and efforts were on to trace 17 others who had gone missing after the boat got caught in a whirpool and capsized.
The body recovered by the divers was yet to be identified, he said.
The DM claimed that six people on board the ill-fated boat swam to safety while 17 others were still missing.
The district administration has requisitioned the services of local divers and large fishing nets were being used to fish out the missing people.
Verma said the mishap occurred when the people, all residents of Panapur village, were going to immerse the idols of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati after Karma Puja. (ANI)
- Bihar boat capsize toll rises to 21 - Sep 11, 2012
- Eleven killed, over 25 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Five killed, 10 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Four killed, 10 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar - Aug 10, 2012
- Two youths drown during Durga idol immersions - Oct 18, 2010
- Nine Puja revellers drown in Bihar - Oct 05, 2011
- Six dead as boat capsizes in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 20, 2010
- 7 child labourers drown in Rajasthan - Apr 10, 2012
- 3 die, scores missing after Nepal boat capsize - Aug 25, 2012
- Three drown as overloaded boat capsizes in Bihar - May 22, 2012
- Six killed, 20 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar - Sep 10, 2012
- 27 bodies found after Tanzania ferry capsizes - Jul 19, 2012
- 13 drowned as boat capsizes on Chambal river - Nov 13, 2011
- Orissa boat capsize toll eight - May 10, 2011
- Woman's body recovered, 7 missing in Orissa boat capsize - May 09, 2011