On Raj Thackerays arrest, Maharasthtra CM says nobody is above lawOctober 21st, 2008 - 1:00 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Oct 21 (ANI): Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh today said that the decision to arrest Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray was not a sudden decision, and that nobody was above the law.
“This is not a sudden decision. We took this decision because nobody is above law. Law is same for everyone, said Deshmukh while talking to reporters here last night.
Raj Thackeray was arrested in Ratnagiri late on Monday night for brutal attack on North Indian rail exam candidates by MNS workers.
A case was registered against Raj Thackeray and his supporters after MNS activists attacked centres conducting railway recruitment examination in suburban Mumbai to protest against the “inadequate representation” to locals and chased away candidates from north India.
More than 30 MNS activists were arrested from Dombivali, Thane, Andheri and Nala Sopara for disrupting the exam, tearing test papers and pelting stones on candidates, police said.
Thackeray is likely to be produced in Bandra court here today.
Commenting over the issue, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar urged the Central Government to take action against the MNS activists, and also asked it to safeguard citizen’’s rights.
Meanwhile, Railway Minister Lalu Prasad Yadav said that Raj Thackeray was insane and had no right to attack poor students who had come to appear for exams.
On Monday, a court in Jamshedpur forwarded a non-bailable warrant (NBW) against Raj Thackeray to Mumbai police.
The NBW has been issued against Thackeray for allegedly making derogatory remarks against Biharis. Mumbai Police said that the NBW would be executed this week.
The non-bailable warrant was issued by the court of first class judicial magistrate A K Tiwary on September 30 directing the MNS leader to be present before him on November 17.
The court directive came on a petition filed against Thackeray by Hammed Raza Khan, a lawyer, for allegedly hurting the religious sentiments of a section of society. (ANI)
- Mumbai police issues gag order against Raj Thackeray - Oct 21, 2008
- Raj Thackeray denied bail, sent to jail for two weeks - Oct 21, 2008
- Jamshedpur Court issues non-bailable warrant against Raj Thackeray - Oct 20, 2008
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray arrested - Oct 21, 2008
- CBI seeks fresh warrant to arrest Nupur Talwar - Apr 18, 2012
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- Cash-for-vote: Non-bailable warrant against Hindustani - Aug 14, 2012
- Court issues warrant against Kanda (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Arrest warrant against Nupur Talwar (Third Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Fresh arrest warrant against Nupur Talwar (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- 10,000 Mumbai autorickshaw permit holders agree to electronic meters - Oct 05, 2011
- Court will hear Raj Thackeray case after 10 months - Nov 18, 2009
- Appear in court March 24 or face arrest, Yeddyurappa told - Mar 05, 2012
- Bihar court issues non-bailable warrant against Raj Thackeray - Dec 03, 2009
- Bihar court issues warrant against Bal Thackeray - Sep 05, 2009
Tags: bailable, brutal attack, court directive, exam candidates, inadequate representation, indian rail, judicial magistrate, lalu prasad yadav, maharashtra chief minister, mns, nbw, nitish kumar, north india, poor students, railway minister, raj thackeray, raza khan, sudden decision, test papers, tiwary