Omar releases Rs.200 crore to fight power crisisJuly 26th, 2012 - 12:24 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 25 (IANS) Alarmed by recent public protests over non-availability of power during the holy month of Ramadan, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Wednesday released an additional Rs.200 crore to purchase more electricity.
The chief minister announced various measures to overcome the power crisis arising out of delayed rains, drought-like conditions and less availability of power in the national grid.
Abdullah also laid emphasis on an accelerated pace of power reforms for a long term impact.
There have been protest in the Valley over poor power conditions during the holy month of Ramadan which began July 21.
At a meeting held here to review the power scenario, Abdullah directed the finance department to release an additional amount of Rs.200 crore to procure extra power to reduce the gap in demand and supply.
He also sanctioned Rs.12 crore to enable the local power development department to carry out speedy repair of damaged transformers and system improvement.
The chief minister directed the officials to set up round-the-clock control rooms in Srinagar and Jammu, to be managed by executive engineers, to hear the grievances of the people.
- Kashmir to operate gas turbine to augment power supply - Jan 02, 2012
- Heat, power cuts and politics in Jammu (Letter from Jammu) - Jun 06, 2012
- Omar chairs high-level meeting to review power status - Jan 04, 2012
- Omar says CISF firing 'inexcusable', promises justice (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jan 03, 2012
- Omar orders suspension of power to VVIP homes in Srinagar - Jan 07, 2012
- Kashmir power revenue in deficit - Jan 03, 2012
- Kashmir plunged into darkness; web, mobile links snapped - Jan 07, 2012
- Maharashtra faces drought-like situation - Aug 01, 2012
- Rs.4,900 crore FDI in renewable energy sector - Aug 26, 2011
- Five troopers held for Kashmir firing death (Second Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- One killed in CISF firing, Kashmir promises action (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Kashmir to get golf management body - Feb 02, 2012
- Curfew continues in Kashmir, Omar takes stock of availability of essential items - Aug 06, 2010
- Omar hopes Anna calls off fasts permanently - Dec 29, 2011
- Punjab seeks Rs.5,112 crore package for drought - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,