Omar meets Sonia ahead of BJP’s Srinagar flag hoistingJanuary 19th, 2011 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Jammu, Jan 19 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah met Congress president Sonia Gandhi Wednesday ahead of Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) planned march to the troubled state and unfurling of the tricolour in Srinagar on Republic Day that has caused a major worry for the state.”The two leaders discussed various issues pertaining to the economic and political developments in the state. They also discussed the general situation in Jammu and Kashmir and challenges ahead on various other fronts,” an official statement said in Jammu.
They also reviewed the functioning of the coalition government and expressed “satisfaction” over its working, the statement said.
Gandhi “assured the chief minister of her and her party’s full support for successful implementation of development schemes and strengthening of coalition government to ensure welfare and prosperity in all regions of the state”.
Abdullah also apprised Gandhi of the efforts of his government to address the unemployment issue and sought her support in the task to seek better future for the youth of the state.
During the meeting, sources said, Abdullah also discussed a possible reshuffle in his two-year-old government in which the Congress is the second largest party with 17 lawmakers after the National Conference which has 28 in the 87-member assembly.
Abdullah was in the capital to meet Home Minister P. Chidambaram amid the state government’s fears that the BJP’s planned march may cause law and order problem in the state in the midst of prevailing peace following months of deadly street protests in the Kashmir Valley last summer in which 112 people were killed, mostly in firing by paramilitary forces and the state police
- BJP vows to go ahead with 'Ekta Yatra' as Jammu standoff continues (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2011
- Kashmir not to allow flag-hoisting by BJP (Lead) - Jan 20, 2011
- NC-Congress coordination panel to meet Saturday - Jan 06, 2012
- BJP to go ahead with flag hoisting in Srinagar - Jan 06, 2011
- National Conference, Congress hold co-ordination meet - Jan 07, 2012
- Farooq asks separatists to talk to central government - Jan 05, 2011
- National Conference accuses BJP of arousing communal passions - Jan 21, 2011
- BJP presses ahead with Lal Chowk plans, asks Omar to join (Lead) - Jan 22, 2011
- Vote-bank politics obstruct progressive laws for women: Jaitley - Jan 13, 2011
- Sonia visiting Jammu and Kashmir (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Omar praises BJP for opening remarks in parliament - Dec 29, 2011
- BJP activists, separatists held on peaceful R-Day in Kashmir (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Republic Day peaceful in Kashmir; separatist, BJP marches foiled (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Tension on Kashmir-Punjab border as BJP rally marches on (Afternoon Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- BJP asks Omar to participate in Lal Chowk flag-hoisting - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: better future, bharatiya janata party, coalition government, congress president sonia gandhi, home minister, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir chief minister, kashmir valley, law and order, member assembly, p chidambaram, paramilitary forces, political developments, republic day, reshuffle, srinagar, state police, street protests, tricolour