Omar disagrees with army over Kashmir situation perceptionJuly 19th, 2012 - 5:26 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 19 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Thursday reacted sharply to a statement by a senior Indian Army officer that the situation in the state is “alarming”.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of the voting in the presidential poll, Abdullah said: “The situation is not alarming at all. If at all the situation is really alarming, it reflects the failure of somebody and we should also talk about that.”
“Nobody should make such statements. We have had large numbers of tourists visiting the state this year. Such statements can cause alarm among the people,” Abdullah said in reply to a question about the statement of the 15 Corps commander, Lieutenant General Om Prakash.
The general had said in a recent media interaction that the situation was alarming because of the recent influx of guerrillas into the Valley.
Asked whether the ruling party’s vote was also a vote for clemency to parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, Abdullah said: “We have already made our position clear on that. It is not for the president to basically decide on clemency it is the government that decides such issues”.
- Legislators to decide party stand on Guru: Omar - Sep 04, 2011
- NC in dilemma over Afzal Guru clemency resolution - Sep 19, 2011
- National Conference meet inconclusive as both Abdullahs absent - Sep 25, 2011
- Farooq supports Omar's remark on Afzal Guru - Sep 02, 2011
- Afzal Guru should 'pay price', says Farooq - Feb 26, 2012
- Kashmir assembly to take up Afzal mercy plea Sep 28 - Sep 17, 2011
- Kashmir legislator seeks clemency for Afzal Guru - Sep 01, 2011
- Omar mocks at BJP for clemency for Bhullar - Sep 01, 2011
- Army chief calls on Omar Abdullah in Srinagar - Jun 16, 2012
- Probe Sushma's links to Reddy brothers: Digvijay - Sep 05, 2011
- Afzal Guru's hanging will re-kindle militancy: Yasin Malik - Sep 29, 2011
- No comment on Guru clemency: President-elect Pranab (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Omar fears rise in militancy if Afzal is hanged - Sep 28, 2011
- Government rejects Afzal Guru's clemency (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- BJP slams Omar for Afzal tweet, Congress silent - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: clemency, convict, corps commander, guerrillas, guru, indian army, indian army officer, influx, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir chief minister, large numbers, lieutenant general, media interaction, om prakash, parliament, perception, presidential poll, ruling party, sidelines