Omar concerned over J-K being ranked second among corrupt statesJanuary 27th, 2011 - 7:41 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, Jan 27 (ANI): Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday expressed concern over his state being ranked number two in the list of most corrupt, and called on vigilance authorities to deliver results.
Addressing an annual vigilance conference in Jammu, Abdullah said: “It is in my interest to ensure that corruption, theft, this sort of thing doesn’t happen. Similar, would be perhaps the case in consumer affairs and public distribution and other departments. We will have to think out of the box.”
“It’s no longer possible to go along the greater path and say, yes, what we are doing, we will continue to deliver the results, because it is not delivering the results. Today, we are number two, god forbid we will reach the pinnacle of the states that are corrupt,” he added.
Abdullah added that he could not possibly take stock of all issues in the state, and said he needed help from other departments as well.
“I, sitting in one department, couldn’t possibly know what is happening in another department. More often than not even, where I am sitting, I hear whispers of what is going around. Unfortunately, those whispers are seldom ever accompanied by actionable intelligence or proof,” said Abdullah.
Abdullah’s statement comes at a time when the Central Government at the Centre is battling several issues of corruption including that of black money being stashed away in foreign banks and the 2G-spectrum scam. (ANI)
- Pay market price of power, Omar tells grumbling people - Jun 21, 2012
- Omar invokes Dickens, destiny to describe tenure (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Omar angry at media leaks on security meeting - Nov 10, 2011
- Not much hope from all-party meet as PDP to stay away (News Analysis) - Jul 11, 2010
- Omar's poser on accountability - Apr 09, 2011
- Tale of two Thomases (Capital Buzz) - Feb 06, 2011
- Omar says 'mass graves' are only unmarked graves - Sep 27, 2011
- Centre silent on misdeeds of Omar government: PDP - Nov 15, 2011
- Yousuf's death has exposed rampant corruption in Kashmir: Mehbooba Mufti (Interview) - Oct 09, 2011
- Advani hits out at Omar, interlocutors - Dec 14, 2010
- Omar serves officers wake up call against rampant graft - Jan 28, 2010
- Omar says AFSPA may go this year - Mar 29, 2012
- National Conference worker's death rocks Kashmir assembly (Roundup) - Oct 03, 2011
- Omar says Pakistan attack bad for India - May 23, 2011
- Windstorm declared a natural calamity: Omar - Mar 22, 2012
Tags: actionable intelligence, authorities, black money, central government, chief minister, consumer affairs, corruption, foreign banks, kashmir, pinnacle, proof, public distribution, ranked number, spectrum, stock, vigilance, whispers