Omar briefs cabinet on Delhi talks on AFSPANovember 24th, 2011 - 1:53 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Nov 24 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Thursday briefed his cabinet on the talks he held with the central leadership in New Delhi on the revocation of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA) from some parts of the state.
It was the first cabinet meeting in almost one month. The last meeting was held in Srinagar Oct 28 when the ministers wanted to know why they were not taken into confidence by Abdullah before he made an announcement about the AFSPA.
Sources in the cabinet told IANS that the chief minister gave a point by point detail about what he told the central leaders in New Delhi — his plea on AFSPA, the reasons of a drastic decline in militancy, peace status and the ever-increasing rush of tourists and pilgrims to the Kashmir Valley this year — as well the response of the central leaders.
Abdullah said he met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Defence Minister A.K. Antony, Home Minister P. Chidambaram and Indian Army chief Gen V.K. Singh during his visit to the national capital last week.
The security experts of the state government, the army and the central government were holding discussions to reach a consensus on how the AFSPA, which gives sweeping powers to the security forces in conflict-afflicted areas and judicial immunity, could be revoked from some areas of the state.
The preliminary note of the Jammu and Kashmir government has suggested lifting of the AFSPA from four districts, including from capital city of Srinagar.
On microblogging site Twitter, Abdullah described the cabinet meeting as a “routine” and said he “briefed his colleagues over the discussions in Delhi on AFSPA”.
- Omar meets Antony on AFSPA ahead of state cabinet meet - Nov 13, 2011
- Removing AFSPA no reflection on army, says Omar - Oct 27, 2011
- Can Kashmir afford Omar-army confrontation? (Kashmir Newsletter) - Nov 13, 2011
- Omar disagrees with army chief on special powers act - Jan 02, 2012
- Omar angry at media leaks on security meeting - Nov 10, 2011
- AFSPA will be revoked one day: Farooq - Nov 25, 2011
- Kashmir cabinet meet on AFSPA postponed? - Nov 16, 2011
- Can Abdullah emerge unscathed from AFSPA logjam? - Nov 16, 2011
- No public debate on AFSPA revocation: Omar - Nov 21, 2011
- AFSPA revocation: Ball in Kashmir governor's court - Oct 25, 2011
- Farooq backs 'boss' Omar on AFSPA - Nov 17, 2011
- Omar speaks to Chidambaram about AFSPA removal - Nov 09, 2011
- Chidambaram discusses AFSPA with Kashmir government (Second Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- 12 more paramilitary bunkers removed from Srinagar - Mar 17, 2011
- CCS fails to take decision on Kashmir situation, calls for all party meet - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: afspa, army chief, cabinet meeting, central leaders, central leadership, drastic decline, home minister, indian army, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, judicial immunity, kashmir chief minister, kashmir valley, manmohan singh, p chidambaram, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, sonia gandhi, srinagar