Olympic torch to arrive in Pakistan tonight after 44 yearsApril 15th, 2008 - 10:51 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, Apr.15 (ANI): The Beijing Olympic torch will arrive here on Tuesday night after 44 years. The Olympic torch last came to Pakistan in 1964.
Fans waited with bated breath as a grand rehearsal was conducted on Tuesday ahead of the arrival of the torch from Muscat in Oman.
President Pervez Musharraf and Prime Minister Makhdoom Raza Gillani will be present to watch the torch relay, which will start on Wednesday afternoon from Jinnah Stadium, just across from the Liaquat Gymnasium.
The entire ceremony will be shown live while strict security arrangements have already been finalized for the torch relay.
Up to 66 persons will carry the torch, one after the other, from the starting point to the Liaquat Gymnasium for the final functions that will culminate in the lighting of the cauldron.
Prominent among the runners will be former world squash champion Jahangir Khan and celebrated hockey player Hassan Sardar who was the star of the Pakistan team that captured the Olympics gold medal at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics.
The Chinese Ambassador in Islamabad, Luo Zhaohui will also carry the torch.
The torch will arrive in Pakistan from Muscat just after midnight on Wednesday while the main ceremony will be held at 4.00 p.m. later in the day.
The torch has already travelled to Almaty in Kazakhstan, Paris, London, San Francisco and Muscat etc. as it tracks across the world on its137, 000 kilometre journey.
The Olympic flame will have gone to 22 cities in 19 countries before making it to Beijing in time for the Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games on August 8. (ANI)
- Olympic cauldron extinguished for move - Jul 30, 2012
- London launches Paralympic torch relay - Aug 24, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Olympic flame arrives in Britain - May 19, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- Drogba to run in Olympic torch relay - May 23, 2012
- China's artistry of lighting Games torch dazzles - Nov 12, 2010
- Sochi Olympics torch relay to be longest one - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic flame travels to Dublin - Jun 06, 2012
- Olympic torch relay hit by flash protests - Jul 22, 2012
- Seven teenagers light London Olympics cauldron - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic torch arrives Islamabad, Pakistan tightens security and alters relay route - Apr 16, 2008
- Musharraf arrives to flag off Olympic torch relay - Apr 16, 2008
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- Peaceful Olympic torch relay in Pakistan amid fanfare - Apr 16, 2008
Tags: bated breath, cauldron, chinese ambassador, hockey player, makhdoom, muscat, olympic flame, olympic games, olympic torch, opening ceremony, pakistan team, paris london, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, sardar, security arrangements, strict security, torch relay, wednesday afternoon, world squash