Olympic medallist Vijender supports social cause on 22nd birthdayOctober 31st, 2008 - 9:10 pm ICT by ANI
By Kamaljeet Virk
Bhiwani (Haryana), Oct.31 (ANI): In a gesture to support social cause, the Olympic medallist Vijender launched two social campaigns– ”Tree Plantation” and ”Save Girl Child” here on Thursday on the occasion of his birthday.
Vijender who celebrated his 22nd birthday, visited the local temple of Goddess Durga and offered prayers. His coach Jagdish and the President of Boxing Club of Bhiwani, Kamal Singh accompanied him.
Vijender prayed to Goddess Durga for more laurels to India in the boxing ring. After prayers, Vijender planted a tree and inspired others to follow suit. He also urged the people to stop female foeticide and participate in ”Save the Girl Child” campaign.
“I felt really good. I got a lot of respect from people here. I have come for blessings of the Goddess. I hope the Goddess blesses me to perform well,” said Vijender, ace boxer of India and Olympic medallist.
Temple management, however, greeted the Olympic hero by presenting him a crown since he was visiting the temple first time after bagging the coveted Olympic bronze medal in Beijing.
“I have planted a tree on my birthday. I felt really good. Everyone must plant a tree. We all must also start a mission against female foeticide as well. Planting a tree will make the environment green and reduce global warming,” said Vijendra.
Villagers were delighted to see Vijender celebrating his birthday here.
Incidentally, this was after many years that Vijender celebrated both Deepavali and his birthday in his ancestral home in Bhiwani since he had been training at home and abroad. (ANI)
- Fervour and gaiety mark first day of Navratri - Apr 04, 2011
- Dhoni seeks goddess Durga's blessings after ODI-series win - Oct 27, 2011
- Boxer Vijender marries long-time girlfriend Archana - May 17, 2011
- Jharkhand fan keeps fast for Indfia's triumph - Apr 02, 2011
- Star boxer Vijender to tie the knot Tuesday - May 15, 2011
- Olympic boxing: Vijender in second round - Jul 29, 2012
- Devotees throng Delhi temple as Navratri festival begins - Oct 08, 2010
- Boxer Vikas promises a fearless show in London - Jul 21, 2012
- Navratri begins with fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 28, 2011
- Sushil Kumar named India's flag-bearer at London Olympics (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Special prayers offered in Dhoni's city - Mar 30, 2011
- South India heralds New Year, north ushers Navratri (Roundup) - Apr 04, 2011
- Planting trees to celebrate girls, a village keeps count - Jun 17, 2011
- Puja and polls: Nitish's family prays, Lalu helps Rabri with rituals - Oct 13, 2010
- Holi, Diwali-like celebrations in Dhoni's hometown - Mar 31, 2011
Tags: ancestral home, bhiwani, boxing ring, child campaign, deepavali, female foeticide, gesture, girl child, global warming, goddess durga, jagdish, kamal singh, laurels, oct 31, olympic bronze medal, olympic hero, olympic medallist, planting a tree, social campaigns, tree plantation