Old Dailt woman accused of witchcraft stripped and beatenMay 24th, 2009 - 7:09 pm ICT by ANI
Wadegaon (Maharashtra), May 24 (ANI): In an unusual event in Wadegaon village of Maharashtra, a seventy year-old Dalit woman, Ruddha, was accused of practicing witchcraft. She was stripped and beaten by the villagers before being paraded astride a donkey.
The locals claimed that she was doing sorcery on one of the neighbours with lemons.
However, Ruddha denied the charges and claimed that she was being harassed. “They beat me. Ladies beat me. Men folk beat me. They dragged me out of my home onto the streets and thrashed me for nothing,” said Ruddha.
She further said that the villagers tore her blouse and even robbed her of Rs.2000.
Police have detained 11 persons including four women for further investigation.
“Further investigation and necessary legal proceedings will be followed,” said N Z Kumbhare, Sub-Divisional Police Officer, Akola.
He also mentioned that on learning about this incident, the police personnel rushed to the village and saved Ruddha from further humiliation. She was taken to a hospital for treatment. (ANI)
- Tribal woman killed for suspected witchcraft in Tripura - Feb 11, 2012
- Thrashed, daughter stripped naked, says retired Bengal scientist - Apr 18, 2012
- Woman molested for spurning Trinamool, tries suicide - Apr 18, 2012
- Official accuses attendant of sorcery - Nov 18, 2011
- Dalit woman assaulted for son's elopement - Jan 11, 2012
- Woman beaten, paraded naked - Mar 17, 2010
- Orissa woman lynched as 'witch', 10 held - Sep 27, 2010
- Maoists kill village Congress leader in Maharashtra - Jan 28, 2012
- Woman forced to eat human excreta on witchcraft charge - Apr 28, 2012
- Two killed in Bihar for practicing witchcraft - Jul 06, 2012
- Four killed in Assam, witchcraft suspected - Jun 21, 2011
- Another Assam woman killed for suspected witchcraft - Apr 18, 2011
- Man stabs his sister on suspicion of witchcraft - Oct 01, 2011
- Bihar rights panel helps NRI abused by IPS - Jun 17, 2011
- Villagers lynch two men in Tripura - Mar 25, 2012