Officer, two soldiers killed in Kashmir landslideOctober 22nd, 2010 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Oct 22 (IANS) Three army personnel including an officer were killed in a landslide in the frontier Uri area of north Kashmir’s Baramulla district, police said Friday.
A senior police officer here said army troops had laid an ambush near the Line of Control (LoC) in the Uri sector when a landslide hit the area late night killing an army captain and two soldiers on the spot.
The other personnel escaped unhurt, according to the officer.
The landslide was triggered by overnight heavy rains across Kashmir followed by the season’s first mild snowfall in Kashmir.
The rains and early snowfall brought down the mercury forcing the residents to take out their winter clothing.
- Three Army personnel killed in landslide in Baramulla - Oct 22, 2010
- Six terrorists killed on Kashmir border - May 12, 2012
- Four guerrillas killed while crossing LoC - May 10, 2012
- Snowfall cuts off Kashmir from rest of country - Jan 16, 2012
- Three terrorists killed, gunfight on in Kashmir - Oct 23, 2010
- LOC fencing extensively damaged by heavy snowfall, says commander - Feb 25, 2012
- Kashmir avalanche: BSF officer's body recovered, six missing (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Ceasefire violation at LoC in J&K; - May 22, 2012
- Dhoni wants to serve army after his cricketing career ends (With Images) - Jun 03, 2012
- Traffic restored on Jammu-Srinagar highway - Dec 09, 2011
- Major infiltration bid foiled, 12 Lashkar men killed (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Bodies of soldiers killed in Kashmir avalanche recovered - Jul 09, 2012
- Pakistan again violates LoC truce - Mar 22, 2012
- Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest - Aug 11, 2011
- Another militant killed in Kashmir's Gurez sector - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: ambush, army captain, army personnel, army troops, district police, early snowfall, frontier, heavy rains, kashmir, landslide, late night, loc, mercury, north kashmir, police officer, two soldiers, winter clothing