Obamas’ will head to Delhi’s highly secured Humayun’s Tomb directly from airportNovember 7th, 2010 - 12:01 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov.7 (ANI): US President Barack Obama and his wife and US First Lady Michelle Obama will head directly to the renovated tomb of the second Mughal Emperor Humayun soon after their arrival in New Delhi on Sunday afternoon.
The Obamas’ are expected to reach the tomb complex at around 4 p.m., and will be received by the Director-General of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), Gautam Sengupta and Union Culture Secretary Jawahar Sircar. Senior officials of the ASI and the Aga Khan Trust for Culture (AKTC), which spearheaded the renovation of the mausoleum complex in 2004, will show the Obamas’ around during his 40-minute visit.
The Obamas’ are also likely to interact with five tutored conservation workers during their visit. They will also meet with some underprivileged children, aged between five and eight years, who have been attending makeshift schools in the complex. A possible interaction with traditional artisans who are renovating the mausoleum’s pillars and latticed windows is also expected.
The Obamas’may also be treated to an exhibition that will explain the historical significance and background of the monument.
Humayun’s Tomb, which now attracts over a million visitors annually, has been declared out of bounds to other visitors during the visit by the Obamas’. The World Heritage site has been turned into a fortress since November 2. On Saturday, Delhi Police officials were briefed about the security arrangements for the visit for about an hour. (ANI)
- President Obama arrives in Delhi, PM sets aside protocol to receive him - Nov 07, 2010
- Introducing children to Humayun's tomb - Nov 14, 2011
- Obama to visit Humayun's Tomb - Oct 28, 2010
- Obama to visit Humayun's Tomb, described as 'cultural marvel' (Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Humayun's Tomb gets 16th century makeover (With Images) - Jun 16, 2011
- US to fund Mughal monument restoration - May 04, 2011
- Obamas visit Humayun Tomb in New Delhi - Nov 07, 2010
- US president, wife visit Humayun's tomb - Nov 07, 2010
- Obamas get to meet 'slumdog kids' - Nov 07, 2010
- Showcasing the ancient in modern Delhi for Games visitors - Aug 26, 2010
- Obamas find Humayun's Tomb 'spectacular', interact with children (Second Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- Obama visits Humayun's tomb, finds it spectacular (Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- US aid to restore 16th century mausoleum (With Image) - Aug 12, 2011
- Aga Khan Trust helps restore 16th century tomb - Jul 19, 2011
- Obamas find Humayun's Tomb spectacular (Second Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
Tags: aga khan trust, archaeological survey of india, barack obama, conservation workers, culture secretary, delhi police, gautam, jawahar, latticed windows, mausoleum, michelle obama, mughal emperor, november 2, police officials, security arrangements, sengupta, senior officials, traditional artisans, underprivileged children, world heritage site