Obamas secret service code name is RenegadeNovember 14th, 2008 - 1:56 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 14 (ANI): President-elect Barack Obama has been given his secret service code name Renegade.
Obama had a say in choosing the rebellious name used by his elite protection team. He was given the choice of several names starting with the letter R, The Sun reported.
And in keeping with the tradition of having all family members code names start with the same letter, future first lady Michelle Obama is Renaissance, and daughters Sasha and Malia are known as Rosebud and Radiance, respectively.
As for outgoing President George W Bush and his wife, Laura, whatever else their new lives hold for them, they can take their alternate identities as Trailblazer and Tempo with them, the paper said.
They are still entitled to secret service protection.
Created in 1865 to track down counterfeiters, the secret service was assigned the job of protecting the president in 1913 but remained in the Treasury Department.
It now protects not only the president and vice president but selected other officials and visiting dignitaries.
Lists of possible code names for those who receive secret service protection are drawn up by the White House Communications Agency, a branch of the military that serves the White House and secret service.
It looks for words that are easily pronounced and easily understood in radio transmissions.
Secret service spokesman Eric Zahren said: Theres nothing Top Secret about them. It has no operational security significance anymore because of encrypted communication capabilities. (ANI)
- The Obamas get their Code names - Nov 11, 2008
- Obama faces 30 death threats a day - Aug 04, 2009
- Obama's daughters to do baby-sitting - Jul 24, 2010
- Obama's daughter safe after Mexico quake - Mar 21, 2012
- 'The Beast' to give Obama a safe ride in India (With Image) - Oct 28, 2010
- Forty planes, six armoured cars to join Obama on India trip - Oct 31, 2010
- US First Lady: 'No Facebook for Obama girls' - Feb 09, 2011
- Bachelor boy Obama goes without birthday - Aug 05, 2010
- You can now destroy lost memory stick - Apr 17, 2012
- Bullet hits White House window - Nov 17, 2011
- Deadly bug may help fight counterfeiting - Sep 28, 2011
- US working to ease wiretaps on the Internet - Sep 27, 2010
- Obama's 49th b'day: home alone with grey hair and Winfrey, but no cake - Aug 05, 2010
- Ronald Reagan's guards didn't know he had been shot - Mar 12, 2011
- America's 147-year-old Civil War message decoded - Dec 27, 2010
Tags: alternate identities, barack obama, code names, communication capabilities, elite protection, eric zahren, george w bush, malia, michelle obama, operational security, outgoing president, president elect, president george w bush, protecting the president, radio transmissions, secret service protection, treasury department, white house communications, white house communications agency, wife laura