Obama to suspend campaign to visit ailing grandmomOctober 21st, 2008 - 2:19 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Oct.21 (ANI): Democratic presidential nominee and White House frontrunner Barack Obama has announced that he will suspend his campaigning for 36 hours to visit his ailing grandmother Madelyn Dunham in Hawaii.
According to the New York Times, Dunham, 85, is gravely ill. Campaign spokesman Robert Gibbs declined to specify the nature of her illness, other than to say it was quite serious. Dunham lives in Honolulu.
I think everyone understands that the decision that Senator Obama is making to go to Hawaii underscores the seriousness of the situation. As he has said, she poured everything she had into him, the paper quoted Gibbs, as saying.
The Obama campaign has canceled scheduled appearances by Obama in Des Moines and Madison, Wisconsin.
The senator will make an unexpected stop in Indianapolis on Thursday before leaving for Hawaii on Thursday afternoon. He will return to the mainland Friday evening and rejoin the campaign trail on Saturday.
Leaving the campaign trail with just 15 days to go before elections, carries an element of risk, even though Obama is running ahead in every national poll.
That said, Obama has little family left. His father and mother are dead, along with his grandfather, Stanley Dunham. His grandmother raised him for many years, while his mother lived in Indonesia.(ANI)
- Obama to suspend poll campaign for a day to visit ailing grandmother - Oct 21, 2008
- Obama suspends campaign to visit ailing grandmother - Oct 21, 2008
- Discrediting anti-Obama 'birthers' is top priority for Hawaii governor - Dec 25, 2010
- McCain, Obama hit swing states - Oct 22, 2008
- Obama's grandmother dies of cancer in Hawaii - Nov 04, 2008
- Reagan on Obama's holiday reading list (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- Three wins tighten Romney grip on Republican ticket - Apr 04, 2012
- Java blacksmith and family shocked to know they were saved by Obama's mum - Nov 08, 2009
- Romney scores decisive win in Illinois primary - Mar 21, 2012
- Obama election was bittersweet for his Malaysian kin - Nov 07, 2008
- Former US Republican candidate Santorum endorses Romney - May 08, 2012
- Obama scatters late grannys ashes in Pacific Ocean off Honululu - Dec 24, 2008
- Obama's insular White House worries his allies - Dec 25, 2010
- Barack Obama - battling mystique and realpolitik (Profile) - Nov 04, 2010
- Record of Obama's birth in 1961 is 'in the archives,' says Hawaii Gov. - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: barack obama, campaign spokesman, campaign trail, campaigning, democratic presidential nominee, des moines, dunham, father and mother, friday evening, grandmother, honolulu, indianapolis, madison wisconsin, mainland, national poll, new york times, robert gibbs, senator obama, seriousness, thursday afternoon