Obama says India, Pak must take steps to heal divideDecember 8th, 2008 - 12:24 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec.8 (ANI): US president-elect Barack Obama has called on both India and Pakistan to take steps to heal their divide over Kashmir following the recent terrorist attacks in Mumbai, and also introduce appropriate measures to counter terrorism.
If a country is attacked, it has the right to defend itself, Obama told NBCs Meet the Press on Sunday, adding that so far the new civilian government in Pakistan has sent the right signals.
He (Zardari) has indicated that he recognises this (terrorism) is not just a threat to the United States but it is a threat to Pakistan as well, the Daily Times quoted Obama as saying further.
Obama also called for an effective strategic partnership with Pakistan that allows us in concert to assure that terrorists are not setting up safe havens in some of these border regions between Pakistan and Afghanistan.
But the United States needed also to build a strategic partnership across all of South Asia, Obama said while vowing to take the fight fiercely to Al Qaeda and the Taliban.
Military means alone would not suffice in Afghanistan, he said, promising of a better life for dirt-poor Afghans. (ANI)
- Obama signs cooperation pact with Afghanistan (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Cancer of terrorism is in Pakistan, Obama tells Zardari through his NSA - Sep 29, 2010
- Democrats to continue long-term strategic partnership with India - Sep 05, 2012
- Clinton warns of terrorists-pursuit on Afghan-Pakistan border - Oct 20, 2011
- Eight die in Kabul attack after Obama trip (Second Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Obama to Zardari: Act against terror groups - Oct 27, 2010
- US see no mediatory role for India in Afghanistan - Oct 05, 2011
- 'Obama's Wars' reveals US hard-talk on Pak's deadly double game in war on terror - Oct 12, 2010
- France asks Pakistan to prevent terror strikes - Oct 21, 2011
- Mumbai terror: World leaders rally in solidarity (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2011
- US to work with India in war against terror - Sep 16, 2011
- Afghanistan seeks Indian equipment for security forces (Roundup) - May 01, 2012
- India seeks regional framework, opposes meddling in Afghanistan - Nov 02, 2011
- Will pressure Pakistan on 26/11 attackers: Obama (Second Lead) - Nov 08, 2010
- Suicide bombers attack Kabul shortly after Obama's visit - May 03, 2012
Tags: afghanistan, afghans, al qaeda, barack obama, better life, border regions, civilian government, dirt, india and pakistan, kashmir, meet the press, mumbai, mumbai terror attack, president elect, recent terrorist attacks, safe havens, signals, South Asia, strategic partnership, taliban, terrorists