Obama resigns from Senate effective SundayNovember 14th, 2008 - 1:07 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Nov 14 (ANI): President-elect Barack Obama will resign from the Senate effective from Sunday.
As he steps down, Obama tells his constituents it has been one of the highest honors and privileges of my life to have served the people of Illinois in the United States Senate.
In the statement, the Illinois senator said his four-year term has been one of the highest honors and privileges of my life, FOX News reported
In a state that represents the crossroads of a nation, I have met so many men and women whove taken different journeys, but hold common hopes for their childrens future. It is these Illinois families and their stories that will stay with me as I leave the United States Senate and begin the hard task of fulfilling the simple hopes and common dreams of all Americans as our nations next president, he said.
Obama must submit his resignation to the Illinois Governor and either the President of the Senate, Vice President Dick Cheney, or one of two other Senate officials.
A Sunday resignation means Obama will not be a senator when and if the chamber convenes next week for a lame-duck session.
Obamas Senate Office will remain open for a period of time, but no longer than 60 days after the president-elects resignation.
The presidential transition office said during that time, Senate staff would work on closing up the office and archiving Senate documents for the presidential library to be built in the future.
The decision to appoint Obamas replacement rests with Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich.
Those rumored to be under consideration are Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr.; Rep. Luis Gutierrez; Rep. Jan Schakowsky; Tammy Duckworth, head of the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs; Emil Jones, retiring president of the Illinois state Senate. Blagojevich can also name himself, but has said he’’s ruled out that option. (ANI)
- Former Illinois Gov. Blagojevich sentenced to 14 years for corruption - Dec 08, 2011
- Speculation on names who would replace Obama, Biden in US Senate - Nov 07, 2008
- Obamas team had no contact with Blagojevich over vacant Senate seat - Dec 24, 2008
- Former Illinois governor guilty of lying - Aug 18, 2010
- U.S. Court brings second indictment against former IL Gov. Blagojevich - Feb 05, 2010
- Indian-American fundraiser under US scanner - Apr 13, 2011
- Obama calls on Illinois governor to resign - Dec 11, 2008
- Indian-American offered to raise $1 mn for Senate seat - Jul 09, 2010
- Rod Blagojevich Refuses To Testify - Jul 22, 2010
- Illinois governor ousted for plot to sell Obama's seat - Jan 30, 2009
- Indian American fundraiser for jailed governor arrested - Jun 21, 2012
- Illinois Governor claims innocence, vows to fight till his last breath - Dec 20, 2008
- Prosecutors Pledge Retrial As Rod Blagojevich Is Convicted Of 1 Of 24 Counts Against Him - Aug 18, 2010
- Aide: Governor Rod Blagojevich Used To Hide In The Bathroom To Avoid Meetings - Jul 09, 2010
- Defiant Illinois governor names pick for Obama seat - Dec 31, 2008
Tags: common dreams, department of veterans affairs, dick cheney, fox news, governor rod blagojevich, illinois department of veterans affairs, illinois families, illinois state senate, jan schakowsky, jesse jackson jr, lame duck session, president dick cheney, president of the senate, presidential transition, senate documents, senate office, senate staff, transition office, united states senate, vice president dick cheney