Obama promotes Chicago’’s bid for 2016 Summer OlympicsNovember 22nd, 2008 - 5:38 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Nov 22 (ANI): US President-elect Barack Obama is promoting Chicago’’s bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics.
According to the New York Times, Chicago has used its highest-profile cheerleader who spoke via video on the issue to European Olympic committees at a meeting in Istanbul.
The United States would be honored to have the opportunity to host the Games and serve the Olympic movement, Obama said in the video.
As president-elect, I see the Olympic and Paralympic Games as an opportunity for our nation to reach out, welcome the world to our shores and strengthen our friendships across the globe, he added.
From his home city, Obama has been supporting the Olympic bid, and the Chicago committee hopes his international appeal will help bring the Summer Games back to the United States for the first time since 1996 in Atlanta.
Along with Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo, Chicago is a finalist for the 2016 Games.
The bid committees made presentations Friday to the European group, which includes nearly two dozen International Olympic Committee members.
The I.O.C. will choose the host city next year at a meeting in Copenhagen. (ANI)
- USOC pulls out its bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics - Aug 23, 2011
- Six cities bid for 2020 Olympics - Sep 03, 2011
- Obama bound for Copenhagen to push Chicago's Olympic bid - Oct 02, 2009
- Rio gets 2012 Games, to put South America on Olympic map (Lead) - Oct 03, 2009
- Tokyo excited to be in race for hosting 2020 Olympics - May 24, 2012
- Japan to bid for 2020 Olympics - Apr 11, 2011
- Chinese company to supply Olympics pin badges for 2016 Rio Games - Aug 05, 2012
- Obama to make final push for Chicago's Olympic bid - Oct 02, 2009
- Rio's choice opens door for Africa, Munich - Oct 04, 2009
- British Olympic Association backs Glasgow as 2018 Youth Olympics host - Feb 23, 2012
- Rio gets 2016 Games to put South America on Olympic map(Second Lead) - Oct 03, 2009
- Chicago, Tokyo lose out in Olympic bid - Oct 02, 2009
- Olympics 2016 presentations get underway (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Oct 02, 2009
- Passionate Rio upstages Obama's Chicago, others before IOC - Oct 02, 2009
- Rio de Janeiro to host 2016 Olympic Games - Oct 03, 2009
Tags: 2016 games, 2016 summer olympics, barack obama, chicago committee, committee members, copenhagen, european group, friendships, host city, international appeal, international olympic committee, new york times, olympic bid, olympic committees, olympic movement, paralympic games, president elect, rio de janeiro, summer games, summer olympics