Obama picks Biden as his vice presidential candidateAugust 23rd, 2008 - 12:41 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Aug 23 (ANI): Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has selected Delaware Senator Joe Biden to be his vice presidential running mate, balancing his ticket with an older congressional veteran well-versed in foreign and defence issues.
The 65-year-old Biden is a veteran of more than three decades in the Senate, and one of his partys leading experts on foreign policy, an area in which polls indicate Obama needs help in his race against Republican rival John McCain.
According to a Democratic official, Biden slowly emerged as Obamas choice across a long day and night of political suspense as other contenders gradually fell away.
The official who spoke did so on condition of anonymity, preferring not to pre-empt a text-message announcement the Obama campaign promised for Saturday morning.
Obamas campaign had invited supporters to sign up for text messages and e-mails notifying them when the announcement was made, and senior campaign officials told FOX the messages will be timed to be received when the nation is awake.
Obamas campaign has managed to keep a tight veil of secrecy over the decision as media and delegates start traveling to Denver for a four-day extravaganza that will end with an acceptance speech by the first black presidential nominee of a major party.
Earlier, Virginia Governor Tim Kaine and Indiana Senator Evan Bayh had been informed that they were out of the running for Obamas vice presidential pick, and had been informed of the same, making Biden the leading contender.
Other finalists in the vice presidential sweepstakes were Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius and Texas Rep. Chet Edwards.
Obama plans to notify the country of his vice presidential pick on Saturday before the candidate and his chosen appear at a 2 p.m. campaign event in Illinois. (ANI)
- Foreign policy matters to dominate US presidential election - Aug 23, 2008
- Obama does not disclose his vice president pick (Lead) - Aug 22, 2008
- Obama chooses Biden as running mate: Report - Aug 23, 2008
- Senator Evan Bayh all set to retire - Feb 16, 2010
- Joe Biden to run on 2012 ticket - Oct 12, 2011
- Obama to announce VP choice by Wednesday - Aug 19, 2008
- Obama says mind is made up on running mate - Aug 22, 2008
- Obama's former Indian-American aide to join politics - Jul 19, 2012
- Republicans capture control of House of Representatives, but not the Senate - Nov 03, 2010
- Obama launches re-election bid with - 'It begins with us' - Apr 04, 2011
- Obama picks Biden as vice president: Reports (Lead) - Aug 23, 2008
- Aneesh Chopra, Obama's Indian American IT head, quits - Jan 28, 2012
- Obama picks Biden as vice president: Reports (Second lead) - Aug 23, 2008
- Obama looking for experienced running mate, McCain for an energetic economic expert - Aug 16, 2008
- Romney pads up lead as Santorum wins Kansas - Mar 11, 2012
Tags: democratic presidential candidate barack obama, governor kathleen sebelius, governor tim kaine, indiana senator evan, indiana senator evan bayh, kansas governor kathleen sebelius, more than three decades, senator evan bayh, senator joe biden, virginia governor tim kaine